Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, (sorry, I cannot post links apparently) I am new to linux and I decided to start with Linux from Scratch (linux from scratch dot org). I am running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help requested for Linux from Scratch install

Hello all,

(sorry, I cannot post links apparently)

I am new to linux and I decided to start with Linux from Scratch (linux from scratch dot org). I am running a Debian virtual box VM on a Windows 7 machine. I have been making steady progress (thanks, google) with no critical error until I reached Chapter 5.7.1 (linux from scratch dot org /lfs/view/stable/chapter05/glibc.html). I was unable to run the step following the text "Next, prepare Glibc for compilation: ".

The critical error returned was:

"***" These critical programs are missing or too old: gawk *** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.""

I looked around and could not find any info (except one page in Chinese...). I decided to skip to Chapter 6.4.2 (linux from scratch dot org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/gawk.html) and install Gawk out-of-order. (why not, right?). The installation went smoothly and I returned to chapter 5.7.1. No errors - installing gawk seems to have "fixed" my issue. The sanity check listed at the bottom of the page even returned the desired result.

Thanks for reading...now my question:

Am I going to run into issues down the line because of my "patch"? I am a linux beginner and it's tough for me to really analyze my errors. I'd like a bit of forewarning if I screwed something up here. It'll help me narrow down issues in the future (or it might be time to start over).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Why did you skip ahead to chapter 6? Gawk is part of the creation of the temp toolchain in chapter 5 and you could have used that. If you used the instruction in chapter 6, which is
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
    then the version of Gawk that you installed will have been installed to your host system, and not the temp toolchain. The instructions in chapter 6 should only be used once you've chroot'd in and everything is self contained.

I would advise you to go back and install Gawk in to your temp toolchain from the instructions in chapter 5, otherwise you may find that it doesn't work.