Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by avatair Awesome then, I didn't get it overly tangled then . Question- currently I have about 16gb of RAM on the mobo (which covers all four slots) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by avatair View Post
    Awesome then, I didn't get it overly tangled then . Question- currently I have about 16gb of RAM on the mobo (which covers all four slots) - does the whole double rule still apply? Especially since it can handle 32 GB and that would mean making the partition potentially bigger than the HD itself O_o. Or would a lower number be safe for the partition, like as you said making it like 12 or something near that.

I've had some experience dual-booting (I think?) before hand, but with two windows copies (no clue as to why), so wouldn't the windows bootmgr pop up first or would GRUB do so? Would they interfere with one another?
    Use of the swap partition and virtual memory stems from the days when RAM was REALLY expensive. With 16GB of physical RAM installed on the mobo, I can't imagine that you would need a swap partition at all. As I mentioned in the lengthy post, you can partition and set up Linux with no swap. In your specific case, I would skip a swap partition completely. 16GB of RAM is massive and wonderful all by itself. My entire system has never had a problem with its maximum limit of 4GB.

Sorry to hear that you are having boot problems. That goes beyond any area I know very well. I've only ever installed from CDs and DVDs.

Linux Guru
    Well I tried to download Linux Mint
    Why? In an earlier post, you indicated you had Mint on a usb stick. Why not boot that and use it to install? Unetbootin will usually create a bootable flash drive. With most distributions such as Mint, when you boot your computer with the flash drive set to first boot priority you will get an option to 'Try without Installing' or 'Install'. Did you not see that with the flash? If you do begin the install, you will see several options such as use entire drive, install alongside or 'something else'. The best choice is 'something else'. If you choose one of the other options it will proceed and if something goes wrong you will have absolutely no idea. The something else option gives you more control.

If you have 16GB of RAM, you won't need swap for the purposes you say you want. You might create a 1-2GB swap as sometimes you will get a warning message if you don't create swap.

You will need to be a lot more specific about what happened. Your last post is not clear. First, why try to download Mint when you earlier indicated you already had it on a flash drive? How did you try to set up partitions? You will need to post more specifics about exactly what you did.

Are you now able to boot the Mint flash drive or CD (did you burn it to CD also??)

Just Joined!
    Alright well good news, I got the situation (mostly) figured it, turns out I had a windows file responsible for some processes stored in my SSD (which I formatted specifically to remove all of those pesky files but it didn't seem to remove). I didn't realize how to manage disks and this windows file was the active file for the drive. I simply switched the active file to the partition with Linux and it worked right away, not sure what to do about this random 100mb windows file hehe .

Yancek you're right, I did have mint on a USB that I used Unetbootin to make, but I couldn't find the button to actually...well, install the whole thing. I thought maybe using another program to do so, and I did, and it worked ! I forget which program, I just googled around a bit for how to install from a USB. The reason I didn't see the drives before as well was because the partitions I made while installing mint didn't have a name (D:, C: etc) and they didn't show up in the list of drives.

So I'm typing this up on the fully installed version of mint now and quite pleased my computer didn't blow up!

Thanks for all the help everybody

Just Joined!
    ...and there was much rejoicing!

Just a little FYI. If you were looking for the EXT partition(s) you made to show up in Windows....They didn't show up because Windows can't read partitions formatted with any EXT file system.

Congratulations on getting it all up and running. You're becoming a techie already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2