Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Intersting i didn't know it was so unstable to write to a NTFS file system but i guess we have microsoft to thank for that....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intersting i didn't know it was so unstable to write to a NTFS file system but i guess we have microsoft to thank for that.

Linux Engineer
    Does anyone know what program I can use to re-partition my hard drive? I current have an NTFS format which I want to shrink. What I'd like to do is make a VFAT partition so that I can put my movies and music into that partition. This partition would be mounted at boot so that it can be read all the time. Furthermore, can I share a mounted partition under Samba?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Use GNU parted. I'm not completely sure that it can resize NTFS, though. Check the Linux NTFS project's page on sourceforge for the NTFS resizing program. I don't remember exactly what the project's name is right now, though.

As for Samba, you can share any part of the file tree. It doesn't matter what is mounted beneath it.

Linux Engineer
    Right. I might just reinstall my Win2k partition because it's giving me trouble. As for Samba, that's great news. I think I'm going to eliminate my boot partition since it doens't really serve any purpose. Say, does anyone know how much overhead will occur if I mount an FAT32 and use the files? When I mounted my NTFS partiton and ran XMMS, there was a lot of overhead on the hard drive. I want to eliminate that and I'm thinking that maybe FAT32 will be the way to go.

Linux Guru
    Although FAT32 of course isn't as fast as any native Linux filesystem, I'm guessing that its drivers are better than the NTFS drivers. I don't use Windows partitions very much, though (I'm just keeping a DOS-only partition for programming purposes that I hardly use anyway), so I can't say that I have that much experience there.

Linux Engineer
    Yea, I'm going to have to debate this one before I do anything.

Linux Engineer
    By the way, I was very shocked at how MP3 and OGG files access the hard drive in both Linux and Windows. In Windows, whenever I play an MP3 (usually 192 kbps) file via Windows Media, it accesses the hard drive almost every second causing the red light to flicker on and off. OGG files flickered about every 7 to 9 seconds.
    In Linux, MP3 (via XMMS) caused the light to flicker about every 5 seconds as where OGG files do around 7 to 9.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2