Find the answer to your Linux question:
I own a new recording studio and we have been using cloud storage like Dropbox to send large files to our clients. However, I feel there must be a more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Solution for sending large files directly to a client.

I own a new recording studio and we have been using cloud storage like Dropbox to send large files to our clients. However, I feel there must be a more practical solution that having to wait hours for the files to upload to dropbox in order for a client to download them.

I thought there might be some simple Ubuntu style OS that I could install on a junk PC. Then from that PC I'd be able to plug in a USB containing the files, place them in a folder and then share that folder to my client over the net.

Obviously security is very important as we would only want only recipient and their invited guests to have access to that folder and no one else. The other thing that I imagine may be an issue is that of the dynamic IP address which our ISP provides. Would I need to have a static IP address for such a thing should it exist?

I'd love to know your thoughts!

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Of course, you could always just create a file server and let the client either log in out anonymously download via FTP or http.

Then there is this: owncloud.org/ which would give you a much more Dropbox like experience.

Just Joined!
    You may want to look into Bittorrent Sync
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxpoldo/btsync
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install btsync
    Or directly from the horse's mouth: labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

you both would need the software (cross platform)

Just Joined!
    I just wanted to point out that if you go the fileserver way, make sure to read your ISPs terms of service. Most ISPs don't want people to serve files using their "personal" internet connection.

Something like a Pogoplug or similar NAS device might do the trick for you (probably about $100 or so for the device). You plug your external harddrive into it, and you can serve files from your external harddrive via Pogoplugs server. Since the files live on your external harddrive, you don't need to upload to a remote server. Pogoplug offers a web interface similar to dropbox, so you can share folders only with specific people. Hope that helps.

RE: 'to send large files to our clients'
    You may use Pidgin or SSL connection directly to the client and send LZMA compressed files (compression rate for video with soundtrack 16-18%).
    You may also split the files into parts, send the parts one by one with instructions to the client how to concatenate them (if necessary).

With FFMPEG for example a file 'mylist.txt' is to be made:

# this is a comment
    1.mpg '/path/to/1.mpg'
    2.mpg '/path/to/2.mpg'
    N.mpg '/path/to/N.mpg'

Then to be executed:
    $ ffmpeg -f concat -i mylist.txt -c copy output.mpg

You may also fully automate the process by using .sh file, executed on the client side.

By using the split & concatenate approach the reliability of sending files over the net is improved considerably ... besides the overall time for sending.

Just Joined!
    Sounds like the tech level at your company and these clients is not very high if you just want to plug in a USB stick and share. That eliminates an ssh connection.

The ftp/http option would probably be the best option but that requires installing a LAMP server on Ubuntu - can be done quite easily but not sure how technically oriented you are.

VPNs are probably out of the question.

I assume these clients use Windows so installing a smbclient on your Ubuntu machine, having the client share a folder on their box, you could copy the files to them. But again, not sure your technical skills.

I'd probably stick to creating a secured ftp site with an Ubuntu box and a folder for each client.

Just Joined!
    you should use Rsync, the best solution, cant post links i need 15 posts at least, google "rsync remote to local"