Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying out Lubuntu and Fedora inside of VirtualBox on a macbook running OS 10.7. My problem is that I can't seem to access the software repositories for either distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't access software centers correctly

I'm trying out Lubuntu and Fedora inside of VirtualBox on a macbook running OS 10.7.

My problem is that I can't seem to access the software repositories for either distro from within the VM. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that they're being virtualized, but I can't seem to some up with anybody online having a similar problem.

In Fedora, when I open "get new software" it shows nothing at all available, and in Lubuntu it shows only installed applications. I've made sure everything's up to date via the command line.

I can't seem to find anything relevant in terms of VBox or OSX configuration (i.e. firewall restrictions or something like that) but I am a noob so I can't be sure. Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    That is a strange problem. Is the two VM's connected to the internet though your Mac host? (VirtualBox should of taken care of that)? If your VM's dont have internet access, then you will not be able to view any software to download.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie1809 View Post
    Is the two VM's connected to the internet though your Mac host?
    Yeah I can browse the internet fine, and the update terminal command checks and gets software normally as well. I just can't access the repositories. I did try everything with firewall totally disabled and it still didn't work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbarnum View Post
    the update terminal command checks and gets software normally as well. I just can't access the repositories.
    that seems like a contradiction: the update terminal command uses the repos to check and get software. do you mean that maybe the GUI tool you are trying to use doesn't have any repos defined? unfortunately, i don't use any GUIs to get software in Fedora, just yum, so hopefully someone else out there w/exp can chime in on that. but in the mean time, can you just show these commands first, to help us along?

# fedora version
    Code:
    cat /etc/redhat-release
    # repos enabled
    Code:
    yum repolist
    # repos installed on system
    Code:
    ls /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo
    and by "update terminal command", do you mean this?
    Code:
    yum update

I did try everything with firewall totally disabled and it still didn't work.
    re-enable that, if you haven't already. if you can run yum via the cmd line and it works, then the firewall should have nothing to do w/it.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    In Lubuntu, try running
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lubuntu-software-center
    and if that doesn't work then another solution seems to be reinstalling the software center using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall lubuntu-software-center
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    @elija: The reconfigure command worked like a charm in Lubuntu! Thanks so much! Do you know the equivalent command for Fedora?

@atreyu: You're right, yes I mean the GUI tools. And

Code:
    yum update
    is what works.

I've got Fedora 17, and it looks like I have
    fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo installed, among several others that came with the VM I installed. (It's the Harvard CS50 open courseware appliance and comes with a few others specific to the appliance.)

When I do

Code:
    yum repolist
    I get a message saying:
    "Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, protectbase"
    I'm not sure what that has to do with what repos are enabled. It appears the repos are OK, it's just the GUI "software center"-type tools that don't work right. Any ideas?

Trusted Penguin
    It appears the repos are OK, it's just the GUI "software center"-type tools that don't work right. Any ideas?
    okay, the fedora.repo software repository should contain many packages. try this terminal command to list all the packages available and write them to a file:

Code:
    yum list available > /tmp/yum.list
    check the list of packages:
    Code:
    cat /tmp/yum.list
    how many packages there are:
    Code:
    cat /tmp/yum.list|wc -l
    also, how exactly do you launch the GUI tool to search for packages in Fedora? even though I'm a Fedora user, I don't use it, so i'm a little blind here. i'll install it on my side to see if i can replicate your issue.

Trusted Penguin
    okay, i see the package - didn't have it installed. is it the one you get when you run this command in the terminal:

Code:
    gpk-application
    i'll assume it is.

have you tried System > Refresh Package Lists from the file menu?

when you go to System > Software Sources, do you have at least Fedora 17 - <arch> and Fedora 17 - <arch> - Updates checked?

if those don't help, see what is in the Software Log Viewer by going to System > Software Log

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    @elija: The reconfigure command worked like a charm in Lubuntu! Thanks so much! Do you know the equivalent command for Fedora?
    I don't think there is an equivalent in RPM but I don't know enough about it to answer with any certainty.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent