Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a TRUE new user, needing one of the following: 1) A tutorial that is simple enough that a recent Windows ex-patriot can decypher how to turn on the built-in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question OpenSuse 12.3 wireless

I'm a TRUE new user, needing one of the following:

1) A tutorial that is simple enough that a recent Windows ex-patriot can decypher how to turn on the built-in Wireless in an HP laptop (came with WIndows Vista, which the wireless works fine in). It's a DV9xxx series laptop, and I'm led to believe that the wireless chipset is really common (though maybe not in Linux). OR...

2) A recommendation of a different distro that is KNOWN to already use and correctly implement this built-in wireless in the HP.

I know that there are lots of ways to add this service to a distro, but I'm really new, and need to be online immediately after installation... I can't fight with the wireless right now, will come back to it later... but it MUST work and be configured during installation if #1 above isn't reasonable.

Thanks so much for any advice, and forgive my ignorance... I promise I catch on quick!

Just Joined!
    Thanks slw210... I was in error on the model number, it's not a 9xxx series, it's a DV-2190us with built-in wireless. Is there a distro that is known to already support that integrated chipset? I'm sure it the same or similar to many other built-in wireless solutions in laptops, but I can't find a driver for it that's linux, only windows. Since I'm new to this game, I'm just having a hard time believing that with all the various flavors of distro's available this is still requiring intervention to enable the wifi...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Start by posting your results to the questions posed in the thread I linked in a new thread in the Wireless forum.

Just Joined!
    will do, try to complete tonight, thanks

Just Joined!
    slw210, ran the provided script file on my Suse 12.3 HP laptop, but no meaningful data was returned. The built-in wireless (according to Windows) is an Intel Wireless 4965AGN. Suse literally doesn't even see this adapter. There's a switch to enable/disable this adapter on the outside of the case, but switching it back and forth does nothing under Linux, it only appears to work in Windows (probably a missing driver?). Anyway, no hardware information is forthcoming from your recommendations above. What should I try next? I hate to go buy a USB wireless adapter when there is a perfectly good one built-in. Thx again for any advice.

Just Joined!
    well, forgive this nooby's ignorance... the required driver (I learned with a little more research) has been incorporated into the kernel that 12.3 uses, and I was able to configure and implement it simply through the network management widget in my control panel... working fine now, thx for the consideration and time, sorry to have wasted it. On an upnote, SO GLAD I'M SURFING with Linux instead of Windoze now. Couldn't be happier, thx for the feedback...