Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi fellow linux newbies and pros alike Friendly neighbourhood linux infant here, crawling around and sticking my fingers in outlets... been shocked a few times, but still poking around. Went ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading video cards and getting the GUI back

Hi fellow linux newbies and pros alike
    Friendly neighbourhood linux infant here, crawling around and sticking my fingers in outlets... been shocked a few times, but still poking around.
    Went from an Nvidia pci x card today to an ati pci x card, was using the Nvidia linux driver beforehand.
    System boots to the Os selection screen asks for my encryption then goes to a blank screen the monitor says 'no signal' for but restores just fine if I shutdown the system with a command line output for me just no gui.

Using fedora 18 3.9.9.something on the kernal x64 with an ati radeon hd 6770 card
    Looked on google but didn't find instructions that worked. Can access a grub command line but that didn't allow 'su' to function when I tried to log into root.

I edited the file before boot and removed the part where it said 'blacklist=nouveau' but that did nothing.

Any help appreciated!!

Just Joined!
    Hi anffdraco,

I believe what is happening is the nvidia driver is still getting loaded and is messing up your x screen. Have you tried uninstalling the nvidia driver first?

Code:
    su
    yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia\* nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
    - then restart

You may also have to reset your xorg.conf file.

Code:
    su
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
    Xorg :1 -configure
    cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Quick Disclaimer: I am usually on Debian systems, so I had to google these two commands.

Just Joined!
    I should have mentioned that to get to a TTY (tty = TeleTYpe/TeleTYpewrite) where you can enter in these commands you have to hit CTRL-ALT-F1 (or F2-6).

CTRL-ALT-F7 is usually the way to get back to the graphical front.

Hope that helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrawoger View Post
    Hi anffdraco,
    I believe what is happening is the nvidia driver is still getting loaded and is messing up your x screen. Have you tried uninstalling the nvidia driver first?

Quick Disclaimer: I am usually on Debian systems, so I had to google these two commands.
    Thanks for your tips, I got the nvidia stuff out and reloaded the open source stuff that came with it. Things were going great--until I tried to install the AMD supplied driver for linux >-< instead of using YUM I downloaded a file from their site, compiled it, ran the installer it created and installed that way. Unfortunately the same thing has happened when I switched cards and all I can get to is the prompt.

I can't use yum to remove the AMD packages now, because I didn't use yum to install them... right? Or can I...
    I need some more code

Just Joined!
    Did you initialize the AMD driver?

Code:
    su
    amdconfig --initial
    If you did and it didn't work, then for you to get back to the opensource one you need to uninstall via the method you installed. Before I can tell you how to uninstall, do you remember what command you used to install the driver with? That would be the clue to figure out what to use to uninstall.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrawoger View Post
    Did you initialize the AMD driver?

Code:
    su
    amdconfig --initial
    If you did and it didn't work, then for you to get back to the opensource one you need to uninstall via the method you installed. Before I can tell you how to uninstall, do you remember what command you used to install the driver with? That would be the clue to figure out what to use to uninstall.
    Like I said before I compiled the available source file from AMD, and ran the executable it created. I did that via the gui not at prompt.
    The installer did everything and said it was installed correctly and wanted to start a reboot. I rebooted and got no gui I didn't run the command you're talking about now.
    Your keyboard shortcut doesn't give me a prompt either, when the gui fails to load teh only thing I can do on the keyboard is a ctrl alt delete which begins to reboot the system and goes through the shutdown script first, thats the only prompt I get after the gui fail.

I can only get to command line if I edit the commands before loading the gui and add '3' at the end of the arguments.
    I don't know how to try and get to a gui from the prompt, but the shortcuts you offered didn't work from there either.

After editing the thing for that one reboot to get to prompt I can run that command, and maybe try then. I tried adding the same command to the end of the thing I edited to get to prompt but it said it wasn't a valid command.

Just Joined!
    I found the .run file it created and googled how to run it from a command line.
    I'm trying to uninstall it now, but can you help me run the right commands to install the proper driver (AMD's site lists their linux driver as compatible with only certain distributions and fedora is not one of them
    I think its the yum / akmod thing like I used before with Nvidia I should be using only the one for AMD / Ati.

Just Joined!
    So it appears the .run file does not offer an uninstall, only to install the driver or build a distribution specific driver to install.

Just Joined!
    Hey,

All I could find are these three commands. According to AMD, any one of these should work.

Code:
     su
    aticonfig --uninstall
    Code:
    su
    sh ati-driver-installer-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall
    sh /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh
    These were taken from page 3 of this official document from AMD: ht tp://ww w2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_linux_installer.pdf

Hope that works. If it did, after a quick google this link seems to help with installing the AMD driver on fedora 18: ht tp://ww w.sohailriaz.com/how-to-install-ati-radeon-drivers-in-fedora-18/

Just Joined!
    I was trying to install the 'distrubition specific' version hoping to find something for fedora and noticed the output after the install completed.

I tried to run the aticonfig and got a LOT of arguments, then got curious and tried the --uninstall, voila.

I tried the guide you linked, but found one more specific because its the exact same model of card I am trying to install:
    ht tp: //thornelabs.n et/document ation/2013/05/17/fedora-18-install-amd-catalyst-pro prietary-driver-with-an-amd-hd-6670-graphics-card.html

Thanks for all the help, would have taken me days to figure this all out on my own. I get so frustrated with this command prompt stuff because I was brought up on dos and learned everything I know about command line from that--most of which doesn't apply to linux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast