Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gacanepa
I am after the most suitable 64 bit distro for music use, I gather that there is an audio based distro available but this is only 32 bit, my two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best Linux distro for Audio use music player etc

I am after the most suitable 64 bit distro for music use, I gather that there is an audio based distro available but this is only 32 bit, my two machines are a Dell with 8GB RAM and an Intel based machine with an 8 core LGA2011 processor and 32GB RAM
    Many thanks

DM

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter111 View Post
    I am after the most suitable 64 bit distro for music use, I gather that there is an audio based distro available but this is only 32 bit, my two machines are a Dell with 8GB RAM and an Intel based machine with an 8 core LGA2011 processor and 32GB RAM
    Many thanks

DM
    Are you looking for a distro for music composition & production and the like, or just to play music? Considering your machines, I'd say it's composition, production, and stuff like that. Take a look at this link: news.softpedia.com/news/Top-10-Linux-Distributions-for-Audio-Production-64552.shtml
    Good luck!
    darkmatter111 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gacanepa View Post
    Are you looking for a distro for music composition & production and the like, or just to play music? Considering your machines, I'd say it's composition, production, and stuff like that. Take a look at this link: news.softpedia.com/news/Top-10-Linux-Distributions-for-Audio-Production-64552.shtml
    Good luck!
    Thank you for your response I will look at this, Ubuntu Studio 12.04.2 looks good

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most current distributions will allow you to do serious music composing, editing, mixing using tools like Audacity. Ubuntu Studio and its ilk already have such tools installed out-of-the-box, so configuring them is simpler. In my opinion, find the distribution you are most comfortable with, and then add the tools you need. It may but Ubuntu Studio, and then it may not be. IE, don't box yourself in!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most current distributions will allow you to do serious music composing, editing, mixing using tools like Audacity. Ubuntu Studio and its ilk already have such tools installed out-of-the-box, so configuring them is simpler. In my opinion, find the distribution you are most comfortable with, and then add the tools you need. It may but Ubuntu Studio, and then it may not be. IE, don't box yourself in!
    Thanks for the information

One question I have about Audio Linux

Would I be able to take advantage of using this on a machine with 16GB RAM? I note that this is a 32 bit distro is this limited to addressing 4GB like 32 bit windows?

Thanks

You may want to think about just building a 64-bit Linux box and installing audio software yourself. If you need to do pro level audio then the software to check out is Ardour.

ardour - the digital audio workstation

Linux User
    I have been running a live DVD of Ubuntu Studio 13.10 64-bit just fine (at least I think it's 64-bit)!

I run Ubuntu Studio 64-bit.

Download Ubuntu Studio Ubuntu Studio

Not sure why you think it is 32-bit only.

Distrowatch.com list AVlinux, which might work for you their write up includes: "AV Linux 6.0.2, a new build of the project's Debian-based distribution with a large collection of audio and video production software:"
    Registered Linux user #526930