Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Been awhile so thanks in advance for any advice. I am automounting a few drives via NFS that are connected to my Pi. Unfortunately these frequently fail on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Auto Mounted NFS Drives Frequently Fail

Hi All,

Been awhile so thanks in advance for any advice.

I am automounting a few drives via NFS that are connected to my Pi. Unfortunately these frequently fail on me and I have to manually unmount the drives, then remount using sudo mount -a which fixes the problem for "awhile" and then they fail again. I see the drives mounted to my laptop but when I click them in nautilus, the directory itself is empty. Interesting thing is if I right click in the empty directory and go to properties, it reports the correct space usage info.

When I try to go directly to the appropriate folders (by manually editing the address in nautilus) I get:

Error: Error when getting information for file '/media/MEGAMAN/MOVIES': Stale NFS file handle
    Please select another viewer and try again.
    My fstab entry is:

192.168.1.70:/media/MEGAMAN /media/MEGAMAN nfs defaults 0 0
    Again thanks in advance
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The mounting on boot problem seems to most likely to be a race or timing condition. Since I don't have a Pi, I don't know for sure how to relax the connection timeout variables. I assume these are in /etc/fstab? What happens if you take the mounts out of /etc/fstab and do a mount in /etc/rc.local?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Should have been a bit clearer - these are being mounted on my laptop not the Pi. The Pi just is serving as the "server" side - the external drive "MEGAMAN" is directly connected to the Pi and then served to other machines via NFS
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"