Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm having problems finding software that scans a letter size piece of paper(s) at a reasonable size. I have always used gimp for scanning but the file sizes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Basic Text Scans Huge File Size

Hi All,

I'm having problems finding software that scans a letter size piece of paper(s) at a reasonable size. I have always used gimp for scanning but the file sizes are just absurd. I have an assignment due in the next couple days that will require me scanning a few pages of notes that I have and using gimp I'm looking at >10 megs for just regular text.

Suggestions on what I should use? I just need good quality black/white scans in pdf form (I can convert if needed from another format). Currently I scan to jpg with gimp and then resize the scans down (which always seems strange as I just want a copy of the letter size but gimp pushes it to some absurd 24" x 36" or something like that) put all jpg's in one folder then merge into a pdf but like I said, 10 megs is crazy for 5-6 pages of text.

Thanks in advance
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Linux User
    I use scanimage. You can set the resolution to whatever you want:
    Code:
    scanimage -p --resolution 300 --mode Color > scan-130901080855.pnm
    is a typical command that I use for pictures, but it produces files of just over 26MB. It works good for cropping. For text, "--resolution 150 --mode Gray" looks fine, and produces files 2,226,187 bytes.

To get a PDF, I'd go
    Code:
    pnmtops scan-130901080855.pnm > scan.ps
    ps2pdf scan.ps
    Now I have scan.pdf of 118044 bytes that looks fine to me.

Of course you can script this for assembly lining the repetitive process of many documents.