Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, This week I decided to leave my long trusted distro (Bodhi) and test drive a few DE's through Ubuntu. In general I'm pretty happy but flash is struggling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Flash Struggling on ubuntu

Hi All,

This week I decided to leave my long trusted distro (Bodhi) and test drive a few DE's through Ubuntu. In general I'm pretty happy but flash is struggling really bad - was not struggling in Bodhi

Every 4-6 seconds I get a very brief pause when watching hulu. The pause is less than a second, sound continues but video pauses. Tested using Firefox with Cinnamon, Unity and Gnome - all have same problem.

I have hardware acceleration enabled. I'm seeing flash take up 40-70% of my CPU which seems pretty damn high. Suggestions welcome as hulu is my tv
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If it is specific to Hulu, could it be a temporary problem at their end?

If not, the first thing is to try removing the .macromedia folder, clearing your browser cache and restarting the browser just in case something is corrupted. If that doesn't work, try disabling IPV6 using Network Manager which to be honest is unlikely to make a difference as you don't mention general internet slowness. Then try the following, which according to the internet helps with some Flash performance issues. Restart your browser after both of these.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /etc/adobe 
    echo "OverrideGPUValidation=true" >~/mms.cfg 
    sudo mv ~/mms.cfg /etc/adobe/
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

No luck - same issue and it actually makes my whole system react just a little slower. I'm seeing some solid spikes nearing 70% CPU use. It's not specific to hulu, youtube is struggling also. With youtube if I try to click on a different place time wise, audio continues, video just stops -- I waited at least 20 seconds and it never caught up. Like I said, definitely not a system issue since Bodhi had no problem at all but it's happening in quite a few DE's within Ubuntu. Already tried purging flash plugin and reinstalling, didn't solve it
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

If you want to try. Disable flash in your browser. Install Greasemonkey. Then install Linterna Magica

Script download for greasemonkey here

I tell Linterna to use the mplayer plugin. You can use Xine or VLC or whatever you prefer. I use this a lot more lately
    instead of adobe flash player to play videos.

As always, up to you though. P.S. you can't have flash turned on in your browser for this to work. Sometimes it does not
    work with all videos. But I have GTK-youtubeviewer for that.

Edit: you might wanna try turning off hardware acceleration in adobe flash player also before trying this.

2nd Edit: I use Hulu Desktop also but not with Linterna Magica or Grease Monkey as I know it's config file asks for
    flashplayer location. So I guess my post is moot. I have no problems though in AntiX and Puppy which is what I run
    Hulu Desktop on with Flashplayer 11.2 and Flashplayer 10.3 on.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Not sure where to go from here. Are you sure it's Flash taking the CPU and not merely a victim of something else? If you haven't done so already running top in the terminal should reveal the culprit.

[edit]
    Crikey! I have just defended Flash. I never thought I'd see the day!!
    [/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent