Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi. Originally Posted by gregoryshock What do you use to make snapshots? What program do you use for your Virtual Machine? Are you doing this in Windows or another Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryshock View Post
    What do you use to make snapshots?
    What program do you use for your Virtual Machine?
    Are you doing this in Windows or another Linux Distro?
    Does your VM allow you the choice of installing Linux onto an external drive?
    For minor backups, say while in the zone for developing, I use rcs -- provides a repository local to the directory in which I am working. Other version control systems could be used similarly, Bazaar, Mercurial, etc.

For larger backups, about once a week I capture my home directory on a tar file, and transfer that to a large external USB drive on a different computer.

I use rsnapshot from a backup server to do several backups daily. That utility uses hard links very effectively, so the backup looks like a full backup, but only changed files are actually transferred, like a differential. If the filesystem to be copied is an LVM volume, then an LVM-snapshot volume (copy-on-write) is created, so that the system need not be stopped to capture the current situation.

For a VM host, I use currently VMWare Server on a GNU/Linux system on a Dell server (xeon CPU, RAID1 disk array). That hardware is old, and cannot support 64-bit guests, so I am transitioning to a newer Dell server, also GNU/Linux host (xeon quad-core, hyper-threaded, RAID10 disk array) On the latter box I use VirtualBox. Currently there are 3 OSs active (of about 25 installed) on the former machine, 9 on the latter (of about 15 installed). Most are GNU/Linux -- the 3 families, Slackware, RedHat (CentOS), and Debian, Solaris, {Free,Net,Open}BSD, a few Windows installs, XP, W7 (not used much).

I have not tried to place a VM on an external disk, but VB allows installation onto an existing disk -- I think they mean an existing virtual disk. If that's important to you, you'll need to research it. My impression is that VB wants to write on virtual disks, so assuming you have mounted a volume-partition-slice-etc., it should be usable for virtual disks. That's outside my realm of experience, however.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    I decided to look to see if I could do something with the print driver already installed on Ubuntu. It appears that this is how You get this printer C309a to work correctly.

01 Ubuntu C309a.jpg

02 Ubuntu C309a.jpg

03 Ubuntu C309a.jpg

04 Ubuntu C309a.jpg

Just Joined!
    Since that worked I decided to try it in Zorin OS.

01 Zorin C309a.jpg

02 Zorin C309a.jpg

03 Zorin C309a.jpg

04 Zorin C309a.jpg

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2