Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using the Zorin OS forums and I'm not very impressed by them. It's a shame because I actually do like the OS. Perhaps if someone of you could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you undo your mistakes?

I've been using the Zorin OS forums and I'm not very impressed by them. It's a shame because I actually do like the OS. Perhaps if someone of you could show me how to make Ubuntu have a start bar like Zorin OS then I might switch back to Ubuntu since it's a more popular system. I know there are lots and lots of Linux distros out there. But I figure there must some things they all have in common. I figure undoing a mistake would be one of them. I'm sure each distro has added things that make a process like this a little easier.... But I'm not so much interested in the way Zorin it's self has unless it's extra extra easy. I don't think I would have learned much about Linux in general if I just stuck to one all of the time. For about a year now, I've been trying to install my HP printer driver for Linux. Whenever I go to the website that has it, Zorin isn't listed, but Ubuntu is. When I asked people on Zorins forums how to make it work, all I get is various suggestions. With the comment "I don't have that printer so I don't know" Sometimes I think they should just stick to saying "I don't know" What seems to happen to me, is I try to install the driver, and I get a bunch of errors and the system seems to degrade and some of the features start crashing. The Crazy thing is Zorin already has a driver for my printer in it. It just doesn't operate the printer correctly. For example, in windows I duplex print a lot. It saves me a lot of paper. In Zorin I can't do this. Even when I just print on one side the words are too big, and the web address at the top of the page gets cut in half. As a result I've been doing my own trial and errors. What I would like to be able to do is, when something I try doesn't work right, I want to be able to undo it without having to completely reinstall Zorin. If I can't get get this to work right in Zorin, then I'm going to quit using it.

Linux Guru
    Zorin is a derivative of Ubuntu and a driver shown as used for Ubuntu should work on Zorin. If you check your /etc/apt/sources.list file, all the repositories on your Zorin install will show Ubuntu. Many problems you may have on Zorin could be answered at Ubuntu forums. So what driver did you download and what website? You never indicate which printer you have, HP makes thousands of them.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryshock
    ... What I would like to be able to do is, when something I try doesn't work right, I want to be able to undo it without having to completely reinstall Zorin. ...
    I use backups, snapshots, and, most importantly, virtual machines. With VMs, one can capture the current state of things, and, if changes don't work the way you want or expect, you can restore the previous situation.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Zorin is a derivative of Ubuntu and a driver shown as used for Ubuntu should work on Zorin. If you check your /etc/apt/sources.list file, all the repositories on your Zorin install will show Ubuntu. Many problems you may have on Zorin could be answered at Ubuntu forums. So what driver did you download and what website? You never indicate which printer you have, HP makes thousands of them.
    "Zorin is a derivative of Ubuntu and a driver shown as used for Ubuntu should work on Zorin." I agree 100 percent! However some people say that sometimes a spin off distro has things altered. One person said that I could be a victim of a directory change.

I'm sorry that I didn't include the printer. Since I had made other threads about this issue I was afraid that someone would read this thread and make fun of me for still experiencing the same issue. The Printer is a HP C309a. The Website I downloaded the driver from: HP Linux Imaging and Printing

HP Linux Imaging And Printing.jpg

I tried to follow the instructions exactly. I've tried this 3 times and it always causes me trouble.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drl View Post
    Hi.

I use backups, snapshots, and, most importantly, virtual machines. With VMs, one can capture the current state of things, and, if changes don't work the way you want or expect, you can restore the previous situation.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    What do you use to make snapshots?
    What program do you use for your Virtual Machine?
    Are you doing this in Windows or another Linux Distro?
    Does your VM allow you the choice of installing Linux onto an external drive?

Just because HP has a Linux driver for your OS and printer doesn't necessarily mean that it has the same features available as the one for Windows.

You may want check with HP and/or HP forums, but my recommendation would be to check around and see which printers work best with your OS and gives you the features in Linux that you need or if another printer purchase is out of the question, keep looking for different drivers that will provide the options, I would first try things from the Ubuntu repositories first.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Just because HP has a Linux driver for your OS and printer doesn't necessarily mean that it has the same features available as the one for Windows.

You may want check with HP and/or HP forums, but my recommendation would be to check around and see which printers work best with your OS and gives you the features in Linux that you need or if another printer purchase is out of the question, keep looking for different drivers that will provide the options, I would first try things from the Ubuntu repositories first.
    I was able to get it to partly work. If I ignore all the errors it reports, the driver will allow the printer to print on both sides. It just seems to make the system degrade and start falling apart. Things like the bottom menu bar will disappear. And then other times the OS will freeze up. I tried replacing the hard drive with a new one, so that issues has been explored. I'm going to install ubuntu, and try it with that driver. If it works then that means Zorin is not compatible with this HP printer.

If Unity isn't your cup-o-tea, you might also look at Ultimate Edition, Xubuntu or Ubuntu Studio. I use Ubuntu Studio on my main computer, I just never cared for Zorin OS when I tried it, it did seem buggy to me.

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    If Unity isn't your cup-o-tea, you might also look at Ultimate Edition, Xubuntu or Ubuntu Studio. I use Ubuntu Studio on my main computer, I just never cared for Zorin OS when I tried it, it did seem buggy to me.

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?
    There are a lot of variables with these OSes. I blame the printer driver because that is usually when I first noticed bugs. However I've noticed some other bugs that I don't think was caused by the printer driver. I tried to make a duel boot hard drive. First I installed Zorin OS 6.3 and then I installed Zorin OS 7. The installer did everything like usual for a duel boot. First I booted up in Zorin 6 and did an update. While I was updating I played around with the background look. All of a sudden the Menu bar and the x (close window buttons changed) In colors it looked more like Mint and Ubuntu put together. Somethings that should have been white turned a dark color and changed shape. Some of the things like the close button turn orange and had a circle around it. I tried to put things back to the way it was, and there was no option that would do that. But after I logged out and logged in as guest everything looked right there. But when I went back to my account it looked awful again. I decided to reboot into Zorin 7 and try an update there. But I found out that I couldn't get Zorin 6 to reboot. It just took me back to the log in screen. I went back to the guest and tried to reboot from there. Then it let me shut down. Once I got into Zorin 7 it took me a while to find the update feature. They moved locations. Since Zorin 7 is not LTS. I decided to just delete my partitions and start all over. I re downloaded Zorin 6.4 from the site and made a DVD rom for it. I installed it, and so far it's running ok. Do you think it would be safe to install Ubuntu something as a duel boot?

To answer your Question. I'm using 64bit.

I never had a problem with dual boot. Should be fine.

You should still ask around on the HP forums just to be sure it isn't with the printer driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast