Find the answer to your Linux question:
My laptop is older but I have been using Windows XP SP3 for over a year now and was playing the game League of Legends everyday for hours just fine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Older laptop which Linux Distro?

My laptop is older but I have been using Windows XP SP3 for over a year now and was playing the game League of Legends everyday for hours just fine. I am hoping to find a suitable Linux distro for my hardware. And hopefully continue playing League of Legends but with better resources and better OS.

System Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 ghz with 512 kb cache
    ATI RV350 Mobility Radeon 9600 128 mb
    1 GB RAM
    40 GB HDD

I just started learning Linux system and have Linux Mint Debian Edition with XFCE installed and working. I am wanting to use the laptop for lower end gaming, youtube and watching live streams via Justin.tv/Twitch.tv. The trouble I am finding is when wanting to get 3D acceleration working and installing the Propriety drivers from ATI. I expect that I am going to settle for an earlier Linux distrobution.

I read that Ubuntu 12.04 already had the driver manager and when I tried the 32 bit version it wouldnt install when clicking the install icon on Live mode.

If someone more Linux distro and hardware savy could help point me into the right direction.

Since you are used to Mint XFCE edition.

SolydXK | Home of SolydX and SolydK

X version is XFCE, K version is KDE.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    The information that I got tells me that Solyd runs on debian 'jessie' and that 'jessie' was still in 'testing'. Not sure if running 'jessie' would be wise for a newbie Linux user.

"Testing" is not a problem for n00bs, IMHO. Your video card may be, however.
    Try PCLinuxOS -- lxde -- would be my suggestion.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by darkkblack View Post
    The information that I got tells me that Solyd runs on debian 'jessie' and that 'jessie' was still in 'testing'. Not sure if running 'jessie' would be wise for a newbie Linux user.
    Solyd is based on Debian testing but it gets tested monthly updates rather than ad-hoc updates. Security patches are of course applied immediately(ish). This is similar to how LMDE works.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Been running Point Linux on my older nc6400 laptops and couldn't be happier. Pure Debian 7 based, MATE desktop(only takes about 168MB) and since it's Debian it's stable as can be. Give it a try, I think you'd like it.

AntiX is a good one for old computers. It's normally based on Debian Testing, which would be Jessie, but they recently put out a new version that stuck to Wheezy for a while to avoid any problems from the two upgrades occurring practically simultaneously.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    AntiX is a good one for old computers. It's normally based on Debian Testing, which would be Jessie, but they recently put out a new version that stuck to Wheezy for a while to avoid any problems from the two upgrades occurring practically simultaneously.
    I think I have settled into Debian 7.1 wheezy XFCE edition. I am slowly accepting the fact that I wont be able to play the same games I was playing and I should just relax with something simple and easy to use.

Debian 7.1 comes with very few applications and a stable environment for me to learn Linux with. Thank you all for your input.