Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I just successfully installed mint 13 & everything was fine. I installed audacity to record a voiceover - made a few adjustments so I could use my headset ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

no sound - linux mint

Hi everyone,
    I just successfully installed mint 13 & everything was fine.
    I installed audacity to record a voiceover - made a few adjustments so I could use my headset etc. and all was ok.
    Now, a few hours later I find there is no sound .....from anywhere!
    Can anyone tell me a) what I did wrong & b) how can I fix it?
    Thank you,
    david

Trusted Penguin
    reboot?

i don't use Mint, does it use alsa i wonder? see if you can run alsamixer from a terminal:

Code:
    alsamixer
    sometimes the card gets muted, too. if you have alsaunmute, you can try that:

Code:
    alsaunmute
    okay, now i have to ask...are the speakers on? :)

Hi,
    yes I have alsa ....no, there is not a "alsaunmute"....I have no speaker icon showing now in my panel???
    What I do have, though, is sound through my headset with audacity. Nowhere else,,,,so I'll try uninstalling audacity since the problem all started from there!
    Here's a screenshot of alsamixer - means nothing to me I'm afraid
    /home/zaanta/Desktop/Screenshot-Untitled Window.png

Trusted Penguin
    your screenshot did not come thru.

there is not much to see in alsamixer - if you have green/yellow/red vertical bars on your main soundcard device, indicating volume, you should be good.

is pulseaudio running? that is a source of audio evil, too (whether it is running or is not, i never can be too sure...)

OK, thanks - first: how do I get a screenshot to appear here?
    I had green/WHITE/red bars showing which I guess is the same - nothing looked terribly wrong so.......
    I have taken your advice re pulseaudio & as I write everything I found with anything to do with it is being uninstalled.
    We'll see what happens then.
    What I thnk (& I know extremely little lol), is that the problem was somehow cause when I set audacity up & made my input/output to be my headset.
    Could it be that mint will only recognise that? I can use audacity still without a problem, but only getting sound through the headset.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by asmiha View Post
    OK, thanks - first: how do I get a screenshot to appear here?
    Click the Insert Image icon in the tool bar above the edit box.
    Click the From Computer tab
    Click the Browse button and select your image file
    Click the Upload button
    What I thnk (& I know extremely little lol), is that the problem was somehow cause when I set audacity up & made my input/output to be my headset.
    Could it be that mint will only recognise that? I can use audacity still without a problem, but only getting sound through the headset.
    i'm not sure. not having run Mint, i have no experience with that setup. this seems to claim it is a audacity/pulseaudio bug, though.