Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I'm buying a new computer in the near future (most likely a mac, don't hate ), but im very bored with os x, and its limitations(and i dislike ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Which linux distro?

Hey guys
    I'm buying a new computer in the near future (most likely a mac, don't hate), but im very bored with os x, and its limitations(and i dislike windows).
    I really want to install a fresh linux distro on the computer, but i dont know which. Ubuntu and Linux mint looks nice and user friendly for newbies like me, but Archlinux looks much cooler and hardcore with all its awesome extensions and customization, but i don't know bull about programing/coding/command lines and all that stuff. If i do decide to install one, would Ubuntu be the best option? or are their better, linux distros out there for someone like me?
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    Arch, Gentoo and Slackware would be good to learn Linux. For ease of use, Mint or Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivatives are good. To use the command line you simply need to be able to read and write. Any Linux will have extensive documentation on commands, just type 'man command' in a terminal to access the info. There isn't any programming/coding involved in the installation. There are some distributions created for general purposes and others with specific uses. What you plan to use the computer for would determine which to use. Have you checked the distrowatch site? They have a listing of the most popular (top 100) and links to all.

+1 for going to distrowatch.com. They have over 700 distro's, in order of popularity, with the top 100 on the right hand side of the page. They also have a search feature which will let you zero in on distro's to try, based on the criteria you input. As a newbie, start at the top of the top 100 and burn iso's onto rw cd/dvd's and try them until you find the one you like, or develop a feel for what features, desktops, etc that you like. If you just want to jump in and don't want to do a bunch of testing, Mint is the current most popular, and a good first distro for anyone.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I was wondering why you are considering buying a Mac? I currently use a MacBook Pro, 13 inch, i5.... Great machine, and I do like OSX. But if I did not, and I was going to install Linux, then I would not invest in a Mac... For the hardware you get in a Mac, I do not believe it is worth the price. You can get a cheaper intel based machine, save yourself some money.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you get a Mac, run OSX. It is a version of BSD Unix. If you want to run Linux on one, run it in a virtual machine. Both Parallels and VirtualBox run on OSX. You can port/run just about any Linux code on OSX, including X-Windows, without changes. So, you can have your cake, and eat it too!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    if it's OS X look & feel you're after may I suggest you try eOS it also has a design philosophy of its own and it's also pretty minimalist too

I agree with the others if you buy a Mac leave OS X on then install VirtualBox and run Linux from there. It will give you a chance to easliy check out mulitple Linux distro.

Just Joined!
    The reason I would suggest that you leave the Apple OS on the Apple machine is that Apple provide the optimal software for their own hardware. If you install linux on it there will likely be some less than optimal functioning and possible a steepish learning curve with the command line to get going as well as it can. So, the suggestion above to use virtual technology on OSX is one I would go for. However, when you purchase Apple you also buy into a hardware contraint which doesn't have the flexibility of the PC. With the PC it is much easier and less expensive to add cards and parts, upgrade and change operating systems amongst the many hundreds that exist in linux. If you do get bored and like to make changes then the PC is the way to go.