Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have received a rpm package for a software install. The install works with rpm -ivh. But rpm -ev just return the command prompt and does not actually do the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should rpm package do uninstall

I have received a rpm package for a software install. The install works with rpm -ivh. But rpm -ev just return the command prompt and does not actually do the un-installation. I have to go to so the uninstall manually.
    I was wondering if I should complain to the provider. Is that a normal practice to build rpm with uninstall capability or it is just optional ?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux_789 View Post
    I have received a rpm package for a software install. The install works with rpm -ivh. But rpm -ev just return the command prompt and does not actually do the un-installation. I have to go to so the uninstall manually.
    are you root?

what errors or output do you get?

take a look at the scripts called by rpm by running this query:
    Code:
    rpm -q --scripts PackageName
    something in there is the problem, probably.

I was wondering if I should complain to the provider. Is that a normal practice to build rpm with uninstall capability or it is just optional ?
    usually, "rpm -e PACKAGE" has nothing to do with the package itself. rpm is in control of removing files. the rpm can have uninstall scripts, but they are just hooks that control special instructions before and after removing the files themselves. if there is a pre-uninstall script that is failing, then the uninstall will abort - before the files are removed.

if you are desperate, you can choose to not run the scripts, like this:

Code:
    rpm -ev --noscripts PackageName
    although that won't be "clean", according to the package maintainer. the best thing to do would be to find out what is failing and why (by examining the package scripts using the above --scripts query).