Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey again, sorry to pester you all but I have another question. As I was installing packages in my Arch rig, I noticed they were all going (naturally) into the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install to home directory

Hey again, sorry to pester you all but I have another question. As I was installing packages in my Arch rig, I noticed they were all going (naturally) into the root directory. However, it's only 15G, and most of the file space is in home, but as the title suggests I don't really know how to install there specifically.

Also, when should I or shouldn't I install to root? It seems that something like a daemon or more important or critical packages should be installed there instead. In hindsight, it seems to have been smarter to have one single partition for all files, and if it is, my home dir is still mostly blank, with just a folder for desktop. So is it possible to merge them?
    Last edited by Aseaxles; 10-17-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseaxles View Post
    Hey again, sorry to pester you all but I have another question. As I was installing packages in my Arch rig, I noticed they were all going (naturally) into the root directory. However, it's only 15G, and most of the file space is in home, but as the title suggests I don't really know how to install there specifically.
    I don't think it's possible to install everywhere you want, except if you have an install script provided by the developper's application, in which case you will have to edit it to what you want. Here's some information about installing packages : Site

Also, when should I or shouldn't I install to root?
    Actually, it's better to install all your stuff as it is provided.

it seems to have been smarter to have one single partition for all files,
    Yes and no. It depends on you. Actually, I think the best partition table for a PC used for personnal purposes is 1 swap partition, 1 boot partition, 1 / partition and 1 home partition. The swap partition is used when there's not enough memory on the system. The boot partition is used to put required booting files. Useful if you plan to install another OS ..., the / partition is required as it is used to hold all files folders that are not located on other partition. Finally, the home partition is used to store personnal datas of your accounts. You may read more about linux filesystems and partitions and here

and if it is, my home dir is still mostly blank, with just a folder for desktop.
    Try
    Code:
    ls -l
    (lowercaps L), you'll see that it is not 'that' empty. If it is, then it's probably because you have not ran many applications and / or producted personnal datas. Here are some links about files permissions / how-to read an ls -l output. Site 1, Site 2

So is it possible to merge them?
    Fortunately, you cannot merge root's home directory with your personnal account's home directory. If you want, you can use a partition manager and re-partition your hard disk. Here's the basic about root.

Majority of those websites were found by using this site

For more information, take a look at man adduser, man mount, man parted, man ls

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the detailed answer. I know, I'm probably making something of an idiot of myself by not researching this on my own, I'll try to do so from now on. :P