Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was running kernel 3.10.7-r1 on Gentoo and im trying to update to 3.11.5. What ive done is taken the 3.11.5 kernel directory and moved it into /usr/src, I linked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Make menuconfig errors with new kernel

I was running kernel 3.10.7-r1 on Gentoo and im trying to update to 3.11.5. What ive done is taken the 3.11.5 kernel directory and moved it into /usr/src, I linked /usr/src/linux to the 3.11.5. I added symlink to my use flag in /etc/portage/make.conf. I try running make menuconfig in /usr/src/linux and this is what i get:
    Code:
    /bin/sh: /usr/src/linux-3.11.5/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh: No such file or directory
    /bin/sh: /usr/src/linx-3.11.5/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c', needed by 'scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.o'. Stop. Make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

You should not need to move the kernel sources, only update the symlink - which you can do using eselect. Can you post the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/src/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    You should not need to move the kernel sources, only update the symlink - which you can do using eselect. Can you post the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/src/
    The reason i moved them is because i downloaded the 3.11.5 kernel from online. (Kernel archives website) i forgot to mention i did use eselect to choose 3.11.5, which i read on a gentoo documentation guide. But i also used ln command too since i read that somewhere else. Ill post the output when i get home

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I guess you have a good reason for not just using one of the kernel sources in the portage tree ...
    Code:
    emerge --search sources
    or look here
    ... anyway lets see the output of ls and see what we can figure out ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I guess you have a good reason for not just using one of the kernel sources in the portage tree ...
    Code:
    emerge --search sources
    or look
    ... anyway lets see the output of ls and see what we can figure out ...
    linux -> linux-3.11.5
    linux-3.10.7-gentoo-r1
    linux-3.11.5

And im not using portage because i dont see 3.11.5 listed

3.11.5 is marked as unstable at the moment - from it's ebuild
    Code:
    KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc ~x86"
    Compared with 3.10.7r1 which is stable
    Code:
    KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 ~mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc x86"
    My recommendation is that you use the kernel from the portage tree, if you want to use unstable kernel then you need to add it in /etc/portage/package.keywords

Code:
    ### kernel
    sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
    should do the job.

If you are still wanting to work out why the downloaded version does not work then start with the error message indicating check-xdialog.sh is missing
    Code:
    /usr/src/linux-3.11.5/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh: No such file or directory