Find the answer to your Linux question:
Full title: Cygwin gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection (C++) v.s. mingw-gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection (C++) Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I know Cygwin is Windows but it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cygwin gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection (C++) v.s. mingw-gcc-g++ GNU

Full title: Cygwin gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection (C++) v.s. mingw-gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection (C++)

Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I know Cygwin is Windows but it is also sort of Linux and I come here because people are friendly and generally more knowledgeable.

Okay, so both of these things are packages you install via Cygwin's setup application.

When I installed mingw-gcc-g++, typing in "gcc -v" or "g++ -v" in cygwin bash yielded no results.

I then added MinGW/bin (from a previous installation of MinGW completely seperate and not related to cygwin) to my Windows path, and then it "g++ -v" yielded results (the version and everything).

I then removed MinGW/bin from my path. I then installed gcc-g++ GNU compiler collection. "g++ -v" still yielded results.

So as you can see, mingw-gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection did nothing. Installing MinGW manually and adding it to path allows one to use the g++ compiler, as does installing the g++ compiler via cygwin (where you don't even need MinGW).

So questions:

Where does Cygwin install packages? What was actually installed when I installed mingw-gcc-g++ and why didn't it work?
    Finally and most importantly, what is the difference between gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection (C++) and mingw-gcc-g++ GNU Compiler Collection?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Cygwin gcc is NOT the same as MingW. The cygwin tools require the cygwin runtime libraries, but MingW is a native Windows compiler.
    2. See #1 - MingW does NOT require cygwin support libraries and applications.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Wow this is late. Really sorry.

Okay, I get that they are saying, however;

WHY can I install MinGW via cygwin? And when I did install it, why couldn't I use the gcc command through bash?

Because as you read from my trials, installing MinGW via cygwin did absolutely nothing. I want to know what it should have done.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can install Ming via cygwin, but I think that compiled code will still require cygwin dll's to run. If you install the raw Windows version of MingW then it will make due with the standard Windows DLLs.

Also, you can use Eclipse in Windows as a C++ development environment using MingW.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!