Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I've recently started to like Fluxbox as my window manager and am wondering what would make a good base distro to use on it. I like both Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Ubuntu or CentOS as a base to Fluxbox?

Hello all,

I've recently started to like Fluxbox as my window manager and am wondering what would make a good base distro to use on it. I like both Ubuntu minimal and CentOS minimal (installs with no GUI or DE) and have them both in VMs with Fluxbox. I personally do not see any major differences between them (yum vs apt, software available, hardware detection) but I was wondering what are the main differences, if any, between these two in this situation, like is one less heavy, easier to configure via command line, etc...?

Use CentOS, it's more stable than Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    I have use Debian Net Install... then go from there... install xorg, then openbox. It is as good a place to start as any... never considered using Debian, or CentOS... but since I work with them strictly from a full screened VM... I am going to give those two a try, and see how my basic net install works! Thank you for the suggestion... even though you didn't really make one.

Lightweight Debian with Fluxbox as programming environment - YouTube

Easy .

Then easier

antiX-13.1_386-base.iso 2013-06-19 411.0 MB
    antiX-Linux - Browse /Final/antiX-13.1 at SourceForge.net

AntiX can be set to debian stable if so wished during the install process where I am pretty sure Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable.

But if rpm stable is what trips your trigger

Linky or Linky
    But if wanting Ubuntu
    Minimal Hard Core Ubuntu From Scratch
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home