Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Why would you want to reboot between compiling and editing your LILO config? Just compile, reconfigure, then reboot. Also, do remember to rerun LILO whenever you make any changes to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Why would you want to reboot between compiling and editing your LILO config? Just compile, reconfigure, then reboot. Also, do remember to rerun LILO whenever you make any changes to anything that even could be remotely related to it, or you might make your system unbootable.

Linux Engineer
    What is this 'make bzImage' step? I believe I skipped this step when I compiled my kernel.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    The bzImage is the actual core kernel, so I can't image that you skipped it. The bzImage is what gets booted by your boot loader.

Linux Engineer
    I'm 100% sure that I didn't use 'make bzImage' at any point during compilation of the kernel. However, I did choose a compression option in the menu within xconfig. Could that have possibly done something?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I don't think so. The compression option in the config is just a lib routine, I think. What steps did you use?

Linux User
    its either make bzImage or make zImage...
    I read that this step actually creates the vmlinuz image in the /usr/src/linux dir that you then copy to the /boot partition...

Linux Guru
    Precisely, it creates the core kernel, compressed with either gzip or bzip2, depending on whether you make zImage or bzImage, along with a real mode bootstrapper/decompressor. bzImage is the preferred nowadays, since it yields better compression that zImage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2