Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hello again. I have revisited the Mint petra and got it working quite well on the Toshiba laptop. Unfortunately it won't work on the AMD dualcore machine but I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello again. I have revisited the Mint petra and got it working quite well on the Toshiba laptop. Unfortunately it won't work on the AMD dualcore machine but I could see it being a good solution for the Toshibas. I have also tried Pinguy but the download file is faulty. Next was PCLinuxOS which os OK on the Toshiba but much slower than the Mint, so slow that I think it may be no real advancement Vista. That said, the Vista desktop seems to be going into a terminal decline, it won't go into boot menu and windows goes into recovery after a lengthy wait. Not sure if my testing hasn't given it indigestion.

That's for the guidance, I have spent a lot of time reading on Distrowatch.

regards

When you say that "it won't work", post some error codes here.
    Most errors can be patched up with a few commands during boot. Most of these things can be fixed once the information is made available.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    When you say that "it won't work", post some error codes here.
    Most errors can be patched up with a few commands during boot. Most of these things can be fixed once the information is made available.
    The problem seems to be related to the display although Mint is correctly recognising the display type, size and resolution (it's a fairly old 5:4 LCD). The reason I think it is display related is the the icons on screen do not align with the actions, for example, hover over and icon and the text descriptor read the wrong thing. So click on Settings and you go to Shut Down. By trial and error I did get into settings and that's how I checked the display type. There is a long lag from clicking to getting a response. In every attempt I reached a stage where the whole thing seized up and I was forced to restart using the power button. Only once did I get a field of text in the upper left corner with a few codes but they remained on screen too short a time to record them.
    I was thinking of trying Mint with a different desktop or perhaps using a 32bit version - I have been testing 64 bit. I would like to get it working as I now feel the Mint can work on the Toshiba laptops. Streaming from BBC Iplayer is a lot better than in Windows and everything is faster. I did get to the NAS but in an indirect way. I still can't get the network printer working but once I find the install disks for the printer, they may have a solution. There are Linux drivers on the manufacturer's site but the description is not intelligible to me yet.

Will also try Zorin today.

Linux User
    Hey - don't get discouraged. I am a hardcore geek, and even I get discouraged when I have to do too much configuring, that's why I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu! My personal 2 cents is that you should try live DVds to see whether everything works for you or not. Don't get discouraged by yancek, *I* will try and help you!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    Hey - don't get discouraged. I am a hardcore geek, and even I get discouraged when I have to do too much configuring, that's why I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu! My personal 2 cents is that you should try live DVds to see whether everything works for you or not. Don't get discouraged by yancek, *I* will try and help you!
    Hello and thanks. I am staying with it. To gladden the hearts of all the Linux people, I had to waste hours and hours getting one of the Vista machines working again. 371 registry errors apparently. Speed, if that's the right word, is restored so it now boots in around 5 or 6 minutes.
    I had to take a day out and do some work yesterday - first working day of a new year and plans to define.
    The Linux experiment revealed something that surprised me but may be normal. Two versions of Mint 16, Cinnamon and Xfce respond very differently. Cinnamon will not render correctly on one of my desktops and locks up but works quite well on the laptops. Xfce works well on the desktop, even the networking but on the laptops it won't connect with other network devices. It seems the interface part of the distribution makes a big difference.
    I tried Zorin too but so far only on one machine type - it did not go well but I'll try again.
    Another interesting thing is the way things go with wireless as opposed to wired network. Wireless is more problematic although, perhaps misleadingly, all connect to the wireless very easily. The problem is seeing the rest of the network.

So far, I'm using USB sticks. However, the Mint Xfce works well enough to do an install on one of the desktops. This machine has space for another drive so I may add one. That particular machine has XP but it also has AutoCAD which is old but I will never be able to replace. I need it and don't want to risk messing with the disk its on.

Is Linux SSD friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Timedout View Post
    Is Linux SSD friendly?
    It sure is. You should have no issues whatsoever installing to SSD, no matter the distro.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    well ,maybe the OP has a point.

Just Joined!
    I guess you all thought I'd gone off and forgotten all about it but I was just too busy working (construction industry). The end of XP support prompted me to get back to it. I have been testing Mint 16 with the Mate interface in 64 bit. It works very well on the old desktop. So well that I will now go ahead and install it as the primary OS but keep XP for when I need to use AutoCAD. I can always just pull of the CAT5 cable out to isolate myself from the evil internet when XP is running.
    One of my kids is about to boomerang again so I'll have another XP machine to sort out too. It's very old, 2005, so I'll try the Puppy Linux running off a USB stick.

I did try Elementary OS. It would not work on either my XP or Vista machines. Nice website, but the software does not work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2