Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been gradually building a Linux hard drive full of different distrubutions. This way and more effectively test each. I can install the updates, programs and then continue to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uh Oh! Linux Mint Cinnamon is crashing already!

I've been gradually building a Linux hard drive full of different distrubutions. This way and more effectively test each. I can install the updates, programs and then continue to use each to see how long they last on my system. So far I have a 3 boot drive. Zorin, Ubuntu, and Mint Cinnamon. They are all LTS versions. So Far Zorin and Ubuntu has been holding up. But today is the first day I installed Mint Cinnamon 14 and this thing is causing me issues right out of the box. The first thing I noticed was this.

picture 1a.jpg

Later I noticed I couldn't mount my drives. (Icons are Missing) Then after another two reboots it has become really hard to get into the home folder!

How do I get those icons back? If linux doesn't automatically mount drives how do you make it mount them?

In one linux video a man talked about the MD5 number. I guess your supposed to check it before you install. I don't currently have a program for checking this number. I probably couldn't do it on my DVD's since they are months old, and they probably have sense updated the website. I'm just saying that I know it's possible that I might have a corrupted download. I'm currently downloading version 16. If I need to do a reinstall. How does one go about reinstalling to a drive that has already been partitioned for 3 operation systems without erasing the existing 2 operation systems?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Engineer
    The MD5 number would be to verify the integrity of the install. I'd be surprised if you didn't have md5sum on a distro.

When you say you installed Mint Cinnamon 14 I presume you mean upgraded to it?

You may need to rebuild your repo lists. i.e.
    Code:
    sudo rm  /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    sudo apt-get update
    Then upgrade.

Linux Guru
    Your first problem is generally related to one of two things. Repositories not available either because you have a non-supported system or the Mint server being down. The other is network connection. You don't indicate whether you can get online with Mint?

The last time I used Mint, it auto-mounted drives in the /media directory. Have you tried plugging an external drive in and checking the /media directory to see if something has been added? If it doesn't mount automatically then you can manually mount them.

I don't currently have a program for checking this number.
    I'm sure you do. You said you have Zorin and Ubuntu installed. Either one should have the software you need in a default installation. See the link below for an explanation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

If you currently have Zorin, Ubuntu and Mint installed you simply need to determine on which partition you installed Mint (if you don't remember) and install the new Mint release to that same partition.

The first error isn't an error, not yours, anyway.
    The medibuntu repository was discontinued.

The Linux Mint Blog Blog Archive Farewell Medibuntu

Something to do with Obamacare maybe.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    The MD5 number would be to verify the integrity of the install. I'd be surprised if you didn't have md5sum on a distro.

When you say you installed Mint Cinnamon 14 I presume you mean upgraded to it?

You may need to rebuild your repo lists. i.e.
    Code:
    sudo rm  /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    sudo apt-get update
    Then upgrade.
    Thank you, I tried this so far. I don't know how much better it made things... But It appeared to do something for it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Mike View Post
    The first error isn't an error, not yours, anyway.
    The medibuntu repository was discontinued.

The Linux Mint Blog Blog Archive Farewell Medibuntu

Something to do with Obamacare maybe.
    Thank you for sharing this with me.

I'm a little confused though. Here is what they say to do:

Open a terminal
    Type gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list to edit the list of repositories (replace “gedit” with “pluma” if you are running MATE, or with “kate” if you are running KDE)
    Remove any line which contains “medibuntu” in it and save the file
    Type apt update in the terminal

What do you put in for Cinnamon? I'm so new to this I don't know what the following terms are: “gedit” with “pluma” MATE "kate” KDE and “medibuntu” Could you explain please?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Try nemo as the file manager
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Try nemo as the file manager
    I may do that! But first I want to find out how all my icons just disappeared.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sorry, ignore my last post. It's late and it's been a long day. Nemo is of course a file manager and not a text editor which may or may not still be called gedit in Cinnamon.

[edit]
    Is there a desktop settings in Cinnamon. In other desktops (Xfce and KDE) you can turn the icons on and off from there.
    [/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Sorry, ignore my last post. It's late and it's been a long day. Nemo is of course a file manager and not a text editor which may or may not still be called gedit in Cinnamon.

[edit]
    Is there a desktop settings in Cinnamon. In other desktops (Xfce and KDE) you can turn the icons on and off from there.
    [/edit]

The bad news is, those are checked marked, and yet they are gone.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast