Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm really sorry that I'm bothering you guys with another thread. I got something that I feel like I need to get off my chest. I'm really frustrated with Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Frustration Venting Of a Newbie

I'm really sorry that I'm bothering you guys with another thread. I got something that I feel like I need to get off my chest. I'm really frustrated with Linux Mint Cinnamon. I've been wanting to install it along side of the other two Linux I've been using. I found A DVD that I made last spring. It booted up ok and it seemed to install ok, but once I started my installation and started the updates things just kept going wrong. First It told me that something could not be downloaded and I found out through here it is because someone decided to change something. Next It stopped mounting any of my drives which meant I had to hunt down a program for that. The file manager trashcan and one other icon all disappeared and I couldn't get them back. Finally I gave up on it, and assumed that maybe the DVD I have is corrupt. I downloaded the lasted version of it, and leaned how to do a MD5 check. Everything checked out so I thought everything would be good to go. I burned me a new DVD, and wouldn't you know it? It won't boot up. So I tried burning another DVD and tried to boot up from that one. It still won't boot up. Next I tried the DVD on my laptop, and it boots up there. Maybe there is something wrong with my Desktop? I put in Zorin OS and tried to boot, and it wouldn't boot. I thought awww, there is something wrong with my desktop, what could be the difference though? I noticed that I am using a LCD TV instead of a LCD Monitor. I moved my Desktop to where my old Monitor. Next I put in the Zorin OS DVD and it booted just fine. I thought awww! it must be the monitor. I put in the Linux Mint Cinnamon and it still won't boot. At this point I have no idea what is wrong... It seems like there is more then one thing going wrong with this...

Just Joined!
    I'm back with an update on my progress

I used a pendrive program to make the ISO file into a USB boot/install drive. At first I just wanted to see if the desktop would boot up from it. I was a little surprised when it did. Then I decided to try installing to the hard drive. I first picked the install beside other operating systems. I noticed that it wasn't splitting things up exactly the way I wanted. I wanted this version to replace the older version I tried today. I think I figured out how to get it to format that one, and then install into that partition. In fact I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon right now. However that is where the good news ends. When I ran the updater to install just one update it gave me this error.

Linux Guru
    Did you have one of the updaters running at the same time? The error would indicate you did.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Did you have one of the updaters running at the same time? The error would indicate you did.
    I don't think I did. Because I was the one who started the updater you see.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    How did you start the updater? When you first boot, the updater automatically checks for updates in the background. This will lock things in the way you show.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    How did you start the updater? When you first boot, the updater automatically checks for updates in the background. This will lock things in the way you show.
    The first thing I had to do was set up my wifi connection to my router/modem. Then it appeared that Mint did a quick check it put a little green check mark on the icon and told me it is up to date. I didn't believe it because things are almost never up to date as soon as you install it. I double clicked on the icon and ran the checker myself. Sure enough it found 1 update. I gave it the go ahead to install. It was right after the install it showed the error box you see posted. Right after I clicked the error box off the updater found a bunch more updates. Up to date out of the box? yeah right. Maybe that is a bit sarcastic.

Just Joined!
    Update

I went into my desktop bios and re loaded the defaults. Then I changed the boot order (again) so that the DVD rom is the first thing it is booting from. After that I was able to get it to boot up my old Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 DVD, then I tried to boot up the new Linux Mint Cinnamon 16 DVD. This time I got it to work too! I hope nothing is wrong with the computer or the DVD Rom, but at least I was able to get it to work today.

I used Linux Mint Cinnamon 16 all last night, and haven't had anymore issues.