Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flunwyc
If you've been following my latest posts, you would have read that I had issues with Linux Mint Cinnamon 14. One of the things I installed and tried was called ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    92

    Is it safe to use Bleach Bit on Linux Mint?


    If you've been following my latest posts, you would have read that I had issues with Linux Mint Cinnamon 14. One of the things I installed and tried was called Bleach Bit. I know it's a recommended program for Ubuntu but is it ok to use with Mint?

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9
    It's crapware.

    Forget the windows mentality - you don't need these "cleaner" programs when running GNU/Linux.

  3. #3
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by flunwyc View Post
    It's crapware.

    Forget the windows mentality - you don't need these "cleaner" programs when running GNU/Linux.
    Vehemently expressed! and not entirely wrong. It is true that you don't need a cleaner for the same reasons as you do when running Windows . Given how intrusive the worlds governments are getting in their surveillance of their citizens, we should probably start to do everything we can to make it difficult for them. Part of that will be covering our tracks. While you could do everything that Bleachbit does using some bash scripts it wouldn't be anywhere near as easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryshock View Post
    If you've been following my latest posts, you would have read that I had issues with Linux Mint Cinnamon 14. One of the things I installed and tried was called Bleach Bit. I know it's a recommended program for Ubuntu but is it ok to use with Mint?
    It's a reputable program and Mint is based on Ubuntu so as long as you are careful you should be OK. I think you can get it to do a dry run which means you can see what it is going to do.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    The Fifth Continent

  4. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Vehemently expressed! and not entirely wrong.
    Entirely right in fact.

  5. #5
    Linux Newbie slw210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Central Florida
    Posts
    194
    Mostly wrong in FACT and completely OFFTOPIC in FACT!

    Why don't you go back to trolling the other forums you troll and leave this one be?

    Back on topic.

    gregoryshock,

    I don't think it should be the cause of your problems with Mint.

    I thought you had most of your troubles with Mint solved according to some of your other threads, is that correct.

  6. #6
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Mostly wrong in FACT and completely OFFTOPIC in FACT!
    It's crapware in fact <- look I didn't need to use upper case to get my point across....

    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Why don't you go back to trolling the other forums you troll and leave this one be?
    I didn't "troll" this forum or any other... the user asked for advice on bleachbit and I advised him not to bother and leave his windows habits behind. Others could have taken or left that, instead elija chose the patronising, correctional approach and you have clearly gotten your knickers in a twist for some reason...

    This is an lwn article on bleachbit which is quite informative: ht tps://lwn.net/Articles/313679/
    sidzen likes this.

  7. #7
    Just Joined! sidzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by flunwyc View Post
    It's crapware in fact . . . ht tps://lwn.net/Articles/313679/
    From the above source -- "However, as with any desktop utility, the danger of BleachBit lies in putting power in the hands of users who may not be fully aware of what they are doing."

    " . . . knickers in a twist"? Well said!

  8. #8
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by flunwyc View Post
    II didn't "troll" this forum or any other... the user asked for advice on bleachbit and I advised him not to bother and leave his windows habits behind. Others could have taken or left that, instead elija chose the patronising, correctional approach and you have clearly gotten your knickers in a twist for some reason...

    This is an lwn article on bleachbit which is quite informative: ht tps://lwn.net/Articles/313679/
    Making the same aggressive and troll-like statement twice does not make it fact. Neither do personal attacks which are not welcome on this forum. If you have a case for Bleachbit being "crapware" then by all means make it. Should this turn into a discussion between people who are mature enough to remain civil then I'll split it to the lounge so this thread doesn't get bogged down in chat.

    Good link by the way: https://lwn.net/Articles/313679/
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    The Fifth Continent

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Making the same aggressive and troll-like statement twice does not make it fact.
    Being a moderator and posting in a patronising fashion, does not make your posts facts...

    Everything stated in a forum is opinion anyway - so I honestly don't see your problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Neither do personal attacks which are not welcome on this forum.
    Glad I didn't make any...

    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    If you have a case for Bleachbit being "crapware" then by all means make it.
    I did... I also posted a link...

    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Should this turn into a discussion between people who are mature enough to remain civil then I'll split it to the lounge so this thread doesn't get bogged down in chat.

    Good link by the way
    It was a discussion between mature and civil people until you intervened. Only one person was completely uncivil, threw around accusations of trolling and used all caps - yet you've turned a blind eye to that.

    Anyway, was not trolling, had no intention of trolling and this is really not worth my time. Done.

  10. #10
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    92
    I just wanted to know if it's safe to use bleachbit or not. I get that some people might over clean and get themselves into trouble. Maybe it's just me, but when I used bleachbit on Zorin Ubuntu it seemed to make it run better. Like it gave it back some of it's youth. The other reason I use cleaner programs is for better privacy. I understand that nothing is a 100 percent private online and we could get into a debate about that. I really want to avoid debates. Thank you for answering my question

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •