Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Has anyone tried running Linux on a Motion Computing J3400 slate? Motion Computing - J3400 Tablet PC Specifications J3400 Tablet PC - The rugged, all-in-one device that is the ideal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anyone try Linux on Motion Computing J3400?

Has anyone tried running Linux on a Motion Computing J3400 slate?

Motion Computing - J3400 Tablet PC Specifications
    J3400 Tablet PC - The rugged, all-in-one device that is the ideal productivity tool

Googling around, I don't get any hits pertaining to this model. I already have a couple Motion Computing LE1700s and an LE1600--both of which run Debian and Ubuntu out-of-box. But there are some issues. The internal bluetooth doesn't work, the LE1600 buttons don't work, the LE1600 audio is weird (it takes some weird messing around to get the built in speakers to work).

Since the J3400 is so different from the LE series, and the LE1700 and LE1600 were also significantly different from each other (in terms of what works/doesn't work in Linux)...

Well, I'm hoping that someone else has tried Linux on a J3400 so I can hear what did or didn't work.

My main interest in the J3400 is as an artist's tool. The LE1700 is a fine tool for drawing with, but the J3400 might be an interesting upgrade for me...it is cooler, has much better battery life, has a better display (albeit lower resolution), and is more rugged. It uses the same stylus, which is really pleasant to draw with--rather responsive to light strokes.

Thanks!
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'll forward this to my grandson. He does a lot of art tablet stuff both in Windows and Linux - plus he is a genius engineer as well as as artist. Will reply if he lets me know anything useful for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'll forward this to my grandson. He does a lot of art tablet stuff both in Windows and Linux - plus he is a genius engineer as well as as artist. Will reply if he lets me know anything useful for you.
    Thanks! I appreciate it! I'm actually pretty happy with my LE1700, but an LED backlight and much better battery life would be rather nice.

Just Joined!
    Just interested - what success did you have with what distros?
    Was just given a J3400 hence very interested (would love to dump the installed windoze; or at least dual-boot).

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Just interested - what success did you have with what distros?
    Was just given a J3400 hence very interested (would love to dump the installed windoze; or at least dual-boot).
    I don't have a J3400, nor did I have any luck finding anyone else who had tried installing linux on a J3400. I have a couple Motion Computing LE1700's and an LE1600. Those worked out-of-box, mostly, but the LE1600 sound has an annoying factor, and the navigation buttons don't work (the LE1700 navigation buttons work out-of-box). None of this says anything about how well the J3400 would work; the hardware is very different all around.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate it! I'm actually pretty happy with my LE1700, but an LED backlight and much better battery life would be rather nice.
    My grandson doesn't know anything about this gear. He also suggested a system with LED backlight. If it was a system that serious artists used, he would at least have heard about it... Sorry, best I could do.

Just Joined!
    I don't have a J3400, nor did I have any luck finding anyone else who had tried installing linux on a J3400. I have a couple Motion Computing LE1700's and an LE1600. Those worked out-of-box, mostly, but the LE1600 sound has an annoying factor, and the navigation buttons don't work (the LE1700 navigation buttons work out-of-box).
    Thanks

Was just hoping...
    I'll just have to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Thanks

Was just hoping...
    I'll just have to experiment.
    I would really appreciate it if you post your results! Honestly, I'm probably going to eventually upgrade to a convertible tablet rather than a J3400 (maybe Fujitsu T902 or T904). But the J3400 is still something I have some interest in. The ruggedness of the LE1700 has saved me twice already, so I'm not entirely sure how I feel about upgrading to a technically superior but more delicate convertible...

Just Joined!

ubuntu 14.04lts on motion j3400

I would really appreciate it if you post your results! .. But the J3400 is still something I have some interest in. The ruggedness of the LE1700 has saved me twice already, so I'm not entirely sure how I feel about upgrading to a technically superior but more delicate convertible...
    Sorry for delay - i'll post what i've found so far. (j3400 is not high priority for me; to an extent waiting for linux mint 17LTS to come out in KDE (& XFCE) desktops)

Currently J3400 is running Ubuntu 14.04LTS (x86_64)

(recently tried activeSuSE 0.0.6 designed for tablets; but J3400 is really a pen computer & you can't simulate gestures with two fingers with a [single] pen, so much of functionality in activeSuSE isn't ideal for machine; activeSuSE is still a work in progress & not yet real product anyway)

personally I hate the keyboard; "/" key is tiny; which possibly makes sense with 'windoze" but not in *nix. The keyboard being waterproof is not designed for touch typing (esp. with my pressing the next key before i've fully released prior key) - but that's the same issue in windoze as *nix

was never a fan of unity - but it is extremely workable in 14.04LTS; and makes sense on j3400.
    have also installed KDE, XFCE desktops - KDE has decent [kvkbd] on-screen keyboard; so is very useable too. XFCE doesn't include a on-screen keyboard; so you've got to use a GNOME one (eg. OnBoard from Unity), which doesn't appear & disappear as well as KDE|Unity (my opinion). KDE provides an icon on 'panel' which is neat; so possibly Cinn|Mate could work; haven't tried those.

* i'm ignoring the inbuilt GPS; default kernel knows nothing of this, and i'm not aiming (at this point) to bother with this.

* some software I hoped to use doesn't work; eg. I hoped to use with XtrkCAD (model train CAD software), but the program uses CTRL key to toggle direction of track; on-screen keyboard toggles "Ctrl|Shift|Alt" state & waits for next key (eg. ctrl-C) so I can't use it with this program as hoped. Issue is not j3400, but software designed for real keyboard (does work with keyboard attached - but I wanted to use as tablet!)

for many programs its fine, mainly for comsuming data - as lack of keyboard is annoying, and waterproof keyboard with mixed size keys i'm no fan of.

sound | video | nic | wireless | battery | pen | (keyboard when attached) all work fine

BUT

in ubuntu [14.04] if I try & load leafpad, I keep [from dmesg]
    [ 568.587718] leafpad[2711]: segfault at 50 ip 00007fe7d1321a1d sp 00007fff97feed90 error 4 in libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.23[7fe7d1144000+42f000]
    or segmentation fault. Something is wrong internally and causing conflicts. Disabling ACPI created problems (pen didn't work for one) and solved none; best I found [looking online] was likely bugs in J3400's BIOS which was only debugged enough to pass with windoze.

Leafpad is an exception, but ubuntu reports an 'internal error' about every 30-40 minutes of use of the tablet; nothing is visible, no program abends (except leafpad on start) but sign of some issue.

Trying other LIVE distros using external DVD was not very successful. Sure Makulu XFCE booted, but openSuSE & Debian live distros (downloaded & written to DVDR to try) failed to boot. My external DVD does give errors on occasion which doesn't help, but after a couple of boots I get it work on my eeepc (all dvdrs are tested on internal drive desktop) so probable some distros are having issue with j3400 & locking up [black screen]

Tonight (offpeak quota) plan to download Makulu KDE to try. Then will probably try LMUE 17 Mate & Cinnamon installing the best & adding KDE desktop to it (may even try adding unity).

(i'd be happy with ubuntu were it not for internal errors every so often; 'mousepad' (xfce version of leafpad) works - but leafpad, like so many live disks that I can't seem to boot indicate issues..)

Good review of your experience with this device. As for the keyboard ctrl key-state locking issue, that may be fixable via normal x-windows / kde keyboard tools. It would be worth a look.
    guiverc likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast