Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by retcyn From what I see there is only one partition on the disk its self. Dd/dev anything did not work. I am still unable to copy the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by retcyn View Post
    From what I see there is only one partition on the disk its self.
    Dd/dev anything did not work. I am still unable to copy the disk.
    You seem very unfamiliar with how to run commands in Linux or Unix. You must put a space between the command and the arguments. This is different from DOS/Windows, where "/" is used to indicate a flag (and can be used with a command without a space in between).

As I already gave examples of above, you use dd in this way:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/thumbdrive/imagefile bs=32256

You must use a space after dd, as well as in between each argument. The "if=/dev/sda" argument specifies the input file or device. In this case, /dev/sda is specified.
    The "of=/media/thumbdrive/imagefile" argument is the output file or device. In this case, /media/thumbdrive/imagefile is specified. You will want to replace this with some other output file. In Knoppix, you will want to double-click on the USB drive icon, in order to mount it. By default Knoppix will mount it as read only. You will want to right click on it to select the option to switch to read/write mounting.

Then you will have to use some intelligence to figure out where this USB drive is mounted, so you can specify the output file path and name.

The live dvd I used was ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN.iso
    Thank you--this is a recent version of Knoppix, so it will use /dev/sd* for all disks. Older versions of Knoppix would use /dev/hd* for PATA disks, which would have helped me determine whether or not your disk was a SCSI disk. Anyway, apparently it is a PATA disk.

Also I don't get how site never let you post links to their sites or files.
    You need to post some number of posts before you are allowed to post links.

Anyway, these screenshots provide a lot of information. In particular, fdisk -l reveals that /dev/sda4 is a partition in QNX4.x format. Probably. That's what fdisk -l thinks, but it might not be absolutely correct. More accurate information would be available if you post a screenshot of the results of "more /etc/fstab" (when booted up on in QNX).

/dev/sda4 is a primary partition, as far as Linux is concerned. However, this primary partition might actually be split up into smaller partitions as far as QNX is concerned.

The best information about what format the data is stored in will come from QNX, not linux.

As I said before, the results of "more /etc/fstab" when booted up in QNX will be the most informative.

Anyway, unless the disk has hardware errors, you WILL DEFINITELY be able to use dd to copy the contents of the disk onto a 3249MB image file on a USB drive. (You will probably also be able to image the disk onto an image file on one of your other hard drives instead, but these seem to be in Windows NTFS format. Your version of Knoppix may or may not be able to mount any of those Windows NTFS partitions in read/write mode.)
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Oh--important WARNING! Do *not* use the dd command unless you COMPLETELY understand the command you are typing in. It is very easy to erase the partition table of any disk (even if it is not mounted or it is mounted as read only). The dd command does NOT ask for confirmation, nor does it provide any feedback at all. If you make a mistake, it will simply erase all your data on the destination device and render it completely useless until it is reformatted.

Again, do *not* use the dd command unless you COMPLETELY understand the command you are typing in. Since you are a novice, I would highly recommend that you disconnect all of the other hard drives before doing this.

Also, be aware that you can't count on the devices having the same device name on each boot. You should ALWAYS confirm the identity of the device you wish to copy to or from with fdisk -l first.

Just Joined!
    I used the commands you gave me to make an image! Thank you. The system is very old and I fear the HD as well as parts to the computer itself are going bad. The PSU shuts off every so often and the monitor blinks on and off. I can fix that but the hd crashing was my main concern. I now have a file just called imagefile. No extension so I am unsure how to clone the image onto another drive?

Also, I used the commands “more /etc/fstab” It do not work. I took an image of it as well to show you. I looked up a bunch of other commands using more and what fstab does and many of those didn’t work as well.

Once I have the image do you or anyone know of a person who can take that image and tell me what I need to go to run it. I have a picture of when the system starts up and it tries to boot from the cd rom. It says automap: not found, and ascent_start: not found. My goal would be to try and recreate what was on the disc or somehow bypass it. Sadly this is part of a network of computers who are all waiting for this one to boot up. That network of computers is plugged into a large flight sim.

Thank you very much for the help. I’m not joking when I say this needs a master in the field to fix. I deal with a lot of computers and most for smaller companys. I have RFT’s that work for a major corporation and they haven’t heard of this stuff since college. Leaving them just as lost as me. You have no idea what this is doing to my a.d.d. not being able to simply look this up and fix it is driving me nuts.

Here are the links to the files.
    Last edited by retcyn; 03-02-2014 at 01:37 AM.

I haven't downloaded the big file yet--3GB is a significant chunk of our bandwidth cap, so I'll hold off until I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Also, I am entirely unfamiliar with QNX myself.

Anyway, the process to clone the image to another hard drive is straightforward--but you must take care to positively identify the destination drive when doing it. If you accidentally output to the wrong drive, that drive will get overwritten. As I noted before, dd does not ask for confirmation.

You would switch the input file and the output file (device, in this case). So it would be something like:

dd if=/media/thumbdrive/imagefile of=/dev/sda bs=32256

(The last option is optional; it just improves performance by definiting a block size of 32256 bytes. This means it will copy over the data in chunks of 32256 bytes instead of the default of 512 bytes.)

Getting back to your original question--the goal, it seems, is to try and create a CD which will allow this software to run, right? You are presuming that the necessary "stuff" to do so is included on this computer. If you are lucky, this is true. But honestly, I doubt it. But who knows? Maybe there is a CD iso file on this computer.

I have downloaded the image file, after measuring how close I am to my bandwidth limit.

Just Joined!
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. Image made and copied to the other hard drive (WD 320gb pata drive). When I replaced the old 3gb drive with the new one it came up with a few errors. 2014-03-10 19.20.09.jpg I logged back the linux cd and found that when using fdisk under SU the old drive had said the SYSTEM was QNX 4.x, and the new drive was linux. 2014-03-10 19.18.03.jpg the 15gb is the thumb drive, the 3gb hard drive is the one that's failing and needed to be backed up, and the third hard drive that 320gb is the new drive. I tried for the life of me for the past two days to format the drive in different ways to make it match perfectly but I'm dealing with some old tech. I have a few more ideas and I'll get back asap once I know if they work or not.

My main goal was to get an image so 1. I can give it to someone who knows better then I what to look for so I can get it to run, and 2. to back it up as the old drive has errors on it and seems as though it may fail. Thank you for the help to get the image. I have learned a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2