Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a desktop with a 3gb hd. When it boots it seems to want to load a cd. Unable to do so it lets me log in using login: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

An old and rare problem the seems only solvable by the masters.

I have a desktop with a 3gb hd. When it boots it seems to want to load a cd. Unable to do so it lets me log in using login: root. Once there I can view the drive and use any unix/ linux command. Here's the issue. This one pc used to run a very old flight simulator. One that is missing its boot cd apparently. In this sys I can only look under each folder by typing in each command to do so. This has taken a very, very long time. I am unable to find the file that I need to run so I can make another launcher cd. I have booted it into a bootable cd using Linix but it is unable to see the drive. I can not see it in windows as well. I was thinking of making an image of the drive and sending it to a friend of mine but i cant even copy the files to a cd so I can veiw it in a windowed environment. Does anyone have any idea how to get the file I need? Where it may be, or even how I can find an easier way to look at the file tree itself? This one pc runs all the others and with out it the sim is a waste. Sadly this sim cost over 10k when it was built. Any thoughts or ideas would help greatly. Even if this is the wrong place to post please let me know so I can see about posting somewhere else.

Linux Engineer
    It may be clear to others reading but I'm not sure it was to me so ... this is what I understood. You have a system that runs MS Windows. In addition there was at one time a CD that would boot another system that ran a flight simulator. This system also kept files somewhere on the hard drive. You've been unable to find them from windows or by booting a live Linux CD. Is that right?

Did you try fdisk or parted to see what partitions were there?

Just Joined!
    The system runs qnx. At the start that's whats running but all the commands are linix. Once booted it trys to run the cd rom but says it cant then goes on to let me log in. the disc was a boot disc that ran commands so the user didn't have to type them in each time he started the pc. All he would have to do is turn them all on and it could run the program on the HD. Problem is I have no idea what its called or where it is on the drive. I cant use any gui I find as they don't see the drive. It seems like the only way for me to see these files are from just simply loading it the way it does by logging into root. Then its like dos. Just a command line that starts with #.

If you boot up a LiveCD, what do you get when you type in "fdisk -l" or use gparted? I think you will see one or more partitions of either unknown file system type or--if you're lucky--some idea of the file system type.

Either way, it will at least be possible to use the liveCD to create a 3GB big image file of the entire disk using dd (such as dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/thumbdrive/imagefile bs=32256). This is probably not going to be very helpful, though, unless you provide this imagefile to someone who is familiar with qnx file systems.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Engineer
    It appears that qnx is, at the very least, a posix like system and uses ksh as a shell.
    QNX Developer Support

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    It appears that qnx is, at the very least, a posix like system and uses ksh as a shell.
    QNX Developer Support
    QNX has been around a long time it's a real time operating system used for embedded systems.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

For some older, expensive, proprietary systems, one needed a CD (or even older, a floppy) to prove license legitimacy. There may be code on the CD, even much of the application, but one needed the CD. In some cases, the CD may have even been unique in that carried a specific key.

If that is the case here, it may take a lot of work to get around this barrier. You might be better off contacting the original owner or the company that supplied the application.

These days, license proof might be done by contacting a web page which held credential proof. Possibly another reason to contact the company -- perhaps there is an update available.

Just a thought ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    When it boots up by itself without the disk i can log in under root and be su. When I use ls -l I can see a file tree and a lot of folders. Now I restart and run Knoppix from the dvd. I run cmd and go under su to run fdisk -l. I get a list of everything but the drive Im looking for. I use the disk utility and the disk shows up but only has the option to format. I am trying to get a copy of the drive so, one I can back it up, two so I can get it in the hands of someone who know more then I. I have used tons of commands and programs that Im not used to using. If I destroy this its a big deal. And DRL I really hope that's not the case. It may be. there are three other desktops that run with this one as the main. The other three run windows but all have a floppy disk drive with a disk inside. I never thought to take them out and reboot the sys to see what happen. As for the owners of the sys. I called them more then once. After a long time playing games I got a tech on the phone who knew what I was talking about but only knew of it by word of mouth. He has never delt with it before and really has no idea what to do next. The programs they use now are way more advanced and most of those tech as he explains don't know this sys. I'm sorry i didn't respond sooner. I was on a business trip for work and the hotel I was at had little to no connection.

Quote Originally Posted by retcyn View Post
    When it boots up by itself without the disk i can log in under root and be su. When I use ls -l I can see a file tree and a lot of folders. Now I restart and run Knoppix from the dvd. I run cmd and go under su to run fdisk -l. I get a list of everything but the drive Im looking for. I use the disk utility and the disk shows up but only has the option to format. I am trying to get a copy of the drive so, one I can back it up, two so I can get it in the hands of someone who know more then I. I have used tons of commands and programs that Im not used to using. If I destroy this its a big deal. And DRL I really hope that's not the case. It may be. there are three other desktops that run with this one as the main. The other three run windows but all have a floppy disk drive with a disk inside. I never thought to take them out and reboot the sys to see what happen. As for the owners of the sys. I called them more then once. After a long time playing games I got a tech on the phone who knew what I was talking about but only knew of it by word of mouth. He has never delt with it before and really has no idea what to do next. The programs they use now are way more advanced and most of those tech as he explains don't know this sys. I'm sorry i didn't respond sooner. I was on a business trip for work and the hotel I was at had little to no connection.
    BTW, you seem to use Windows style use of the words "drive" and "disk". I will not. I will use the standard meanings of "drive" and "disk", because it's too confusing to try and remember the weird meanings. In standard use, "drive" and "disk" both mean the same thing--they mean the physical device as a whole. What you call a "drive" is actually a partition. There can be multiple partitions inside a single disk, but often there is just one. In addition, there are various different ways to define partitions, so what Linux sees as just one partition may actually be several BSD partitions (for example).

For purposes of giving the data to someone else to analyze, you can copy the entire disk to an image file using dd /dev/sda (or whatever the device the disk shows up as in gparted or fdisk -l...it may be /dev/hda or /dev/sdb or whatever). Even the entire 3GB fits on a small USB drive.

The big question is how to get this drive attached to something. Most computers with 3GB hard drives do not have USB ports. If the computer DOES have USB ports, then just use Knoppix and dd, with a USB drive plugged in. It will transfer data extremely slowly due to the USB1 port, but it should eventually finish overnight.

Otherwise, you'll have to either install an internal drive into this computer or install its 3GB drive into another computer.

You do not tell us what version of Knoppix you are using, or what the output of fdisk -l is, or gparted, or what the name of the disk is under Knoppix. Since you provide so little information, I can only guess at whether or not this drive is an IDE drive or a SCSI drive. If it is an IDE drive, then you can remove this drive and install it in another computer with a PATA interface.

If it is a SCSI drive, then your best option may be to try to find an ancient PATA drive that's small enough and old enough to successfully work on this old computer. If you're lucky, then simply setting a jumper to limit the drive to 32GB will work (this fools the BIOS, allowing the computer to boot, but it doesn't fool Knoppix...Knoppix will typically see the full disk rather than just 32GB). But otherwise, you might have to remove the entire SCSI card and drive and install on another computer (this is assuming the SCSI card is a PCI card and built into the motherboard or ISA or VLB).

Oh--here's one thing to tell us which can be very informative. Could you boot up into QNX and use "more /etc/fstab"? Please tell us the contents of /etc/fstab. In particular the entry for "/" should provide information about the file system used for the root partition. Probably there will be 3+ partitions defined in /etc/fstab, even if Linux sees the disk as just one large partition (or entirely undefined).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    From what I see there is only one partition on the disk its self.
    Dd/dev anything did not work. I am still unable to copy the disk.
    The live dvd I used was ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN.iso
    The computer itself does have two old usb one ports but I can take the drive and plug it into my pata port on my desktop and I can see it in knoppix.
    I took pictures of the information I could found.

is a link a zip full of the pics. This site wouldn't let me put up more then one.
    Also I don't get how site never let you post links to their sites or files. Please add www to dropbox.com/s/wdp1zpzggkrei4o/qnx%20comp.zip so I can give someone all the files at once.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast