Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
ok im learning and surprisingly loveing this switch to linux(zorin) I have been reading the heck out of every ebook webpage forums trying to learn more than just the nice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question security privacy etc Linux or open BSD??

ok im learning and surprisingly loveing this switch to linux(zorin)

I have been reading the heck out of every ebook webpage forums trying to learn more than just the nice windows look(the true linux or whatever you want to call it)

so many versions so many opinions it gets to confuseing

so i have always heard and advised ubuntu but i hated the look and way it worked

i found zorin and love it it says based or set on sorry dont know all the terms ubuntu

my qustion is security privacy all the gov and website spying all that garbage

would someone mind takeing time to explain all this and benifits and stuff to make zorin stronger

please and thanks for your valuable time

also i have seen allot of linux verses bsd for all my abouve?

thank you all so much

This is a big subject. What you need is an article that explains some of the issues in detail. It's really difficult to cover this subject well in short posts on a forum, but the results of this search might help.

You might also want to take a look at the Linux security howto but you should remember that security and privacy are not the same thing... You can use TOR to get privacy, but don't use it for connections to, say, your bank where security is important.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

thanks so much

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As to Linux vs (Free, Open, Net, and other)BSD they both from different roots of the Unix tree (AT&T Unix & BSD Unix) so they have similar commands, but they differ in other aspects. IMO the BSD's are used my more hard core Unix fans since fancy desktops and such are not primary interest. The BSD's are used a lot for servers, networking and in network gear because BSD has a very fast TCP/IP stack. OpenBSD focus has always been on security. apple's OS/X is based on a BSD called Darwin. I would say if new to the Unix/Linux world then stick with Linux and learn it well. That will make checking out one of the BSD's later easier.

I'm unfamiliar with Zorin dirstro, but looking at their website their focus seems to be on desktops. Under the hood they are Ubuntu and they offer various windows flavored desktops. So if coming from windows that might help your transition or like some into the GUI bling some desktops offer. There are a lot of distros derived from Ubuntu these days some are just desktop changes, some alter some of the app's. Even Ubuntu is derived from Debian.

As I recommend to others pick one of the popular distros and take your time and learn it well, build you Linux/Unix foundation. After you have a solid foundation then experimenting with other distros or versions of x86 Unix will be much easier.
    frostyshade likes this.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    As to Linux vs (Free, Open, Net, and other)BSD they both from different roots of the Unix tree (AT&T Unix & BSD Unix) so they have similar commands, but they differ in other aspects. IMO the BSD's are used my more hard core Unix fans since fancy desktops and such are not primary interest. The BSD's are used a lot for servers, networking and in network gear because BSD has a very fast TCP/IP stack. OpenBSD focus has always been on security. apple's OS/X is based on a BSD called Darwin. I would say if new to the Unix/Linux world then stick with Linux and learn it well. That will make checking out one of the BSD's later easier.
    I agree. I used FreeBSD for many years and was a big proponent of it but eventually found that the desktop environment simply didn't have the support and growth that was happening in the Linux world. A wonderful server environment but not so much for desktop/laptop use.

thanks so much i chose zorin like you said easiest desktop and desktop i liked But i also came knowing it is how do you want to say

like a car cover you still have to learn linux and thats why im on here and downloaded all the ebooks i could dummies tricks the linux bible anything to do with it i have downloaded

and am slowly reading

but on the learning side how resilient is linux i have been entering command line info from forums and sites on problems like my firefox problem i spent half the day on that never having one complete

or the open office etc am i damaging like you would dos or windows or can this handle more

thanks for all the help

Linux Guru
    lol. Another good question!

You can certain damage things but as long as you don't run commands as root (or sudo them) then there is a limit to the damage. Most of the damage you can do as a regular user is recoverable but remember if you rm a file it is gone. So be careful when deleting data you don't want to lose.

TOR has been hacked by the NSA so it's no longer secure. As far as security and privacy goes it's more of a browser issue then it is a Distro issue. Any Linux Distro will be more secure to malware and spyware then Windows or Mac but most of what's done are browser exploited through java or javascript and also Flash. I run NoScript and Cookie Monster so when I'm surfing it kills 3rd party cookies and won't allow javascript of flash to run without my permission. That way I can allow it on trusted sites but not every site that I go to.
    Also, if you're running Firefox or Iceweasel you can always open a private browser session and surf that way to be more secure.

thanks what is tor

thank you all and sorry for not looking more i didnt see the bsd part of forums very sorry
    Last edited by omg-im-scared; 02-26-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: closed thank you all

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    TOR has been hacked by the NSA so it's no longer secure.
    Do you have a citation for this? What I've read seems to indicate otherwise.
    i.e.
    NSA and GCHQ target Tor network that protects anonymity of web users | World news | The Guardian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast