Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a Linux newbie running Slackware and my nic card settings are set at 10mbs half duplex. What's the easiest/best way to set the nic to 100mbs full duplex? Thanks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I set my nic card to 100mbs full duplex?

I'm a Linux newbie running Slackware and my nic card settings are set at 10mbs half duplex. What's the easiest/best way to set the nic to 100mbs full duplex?

Thanks for your help!!

Linux Engineer
    I dont know if you have the ethotool command installed on slackware i havent used it myself, but if you have the easiest way is to set it like this...

Code:
    ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
    If you dont have ethtool then you have to set it hard in your /etc/modules.conf It depends on which driver you are using how to write it. if you are using the e100-driver for example it should look like this in /etc/modules.conf

Code:
    alias eth0 e100
    options e100 e100_speed_duplex=4
    Check with man yourcurrentdriver the check how the syntax should be..
    Note! if you set it with ethtool you probably end up running in half duplex after reboot of your system so the best way is to use ethtool first to get it right fast and to set in modules.conf so it workes after boot also.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    The best way is probably to use the module parameters (ie. andutt's second way), since it will be easier to enter into your configuration and so make the changes persistant.
    Since when did the NIC driver have man pages, though? I haven't found a single one that has. Check with modinfo instead. Ie., if your NIC driver is called 8139too, check with "modinfo -p 8139too" to see what parameters it supports.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Dolda do you know where do change module/driver parameters on slackware...it doesnt look like anything i know. I have never used slackware either....and ethtool doesnt seem to exist.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    I've never used slackware at all. Until just recently, RedHat was the only distro I had ever run. Now I'm running gentoo on my workstation, but I still haven't had the time to explore it entirely.
    I haven't ever seen the ethtool program at all. Now that I check, I see that it was on my RH8 installation, though. But it isn't on my RH7.1 systems. What do you use it for?

Linux Engineer
    I have used it for dynamicly set nic:s to others speeds and that sort of stuff or just display info... OK then when need a slackware expert to help this guy..

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    I've been doing some digging around and I see that there is a tool called mii-tool. When I type that in shell I get "eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link" maybe this can be used like the ethtool you were talking about?

thanks guys

Linux Guru
    Check what parameters the module supports instead. That is the best solution anyway.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    I've never used slackware at all. Until just recently, RedHat was the only distro I had ever run. Now I'm running gentoo on my workstation, but I still haven't had the time to explore it entirely.
    I haven't ever seen the ethtool program at all. Now that I check, I see that it was on my RH8 installation, though. But it isn't on my RH7.1 systems. What do you use it for?
    Ethtoool is available in Gentoo, although I've never used it.

Code:
    emerge ethtool