Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, i have been playing with linux for a good few months now. i understand more about linux file systems, more about installing etc. even learned a bit about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A newbs journey...where to from here

hi guys,

i have been playing with linux for a good few months now. i understand more about linux file systems, more about installing etc. even learned a bit about the command line.

i am reading the linux+ book and watching videos. I want to do more with my systems, apart from the stuff i usually do on my windows machines. I know as an admin bash scripting and perl/python is the direction to go...i also understand setting up and using things like apache, send mail, ssh and other functional utilities are mandatory.

the problem im having is real world application. I dont have loads of servers and tons of data to perform awk sed grep commands on, im finding it hard to picture where all of this is applied...is it very different from job to job...site to site? is it something you will only learn once you in the industry?

i have a centos server i connect to over ssh, i use it mostly for rsync and have written a script to backup data...what else can i do to further my knowledge...any ideas please...thanks for reading.

You have a server you can install more virtual servers to work on remote access and tasks. Go throught the /etc there are lots scripts to study and learn from. Start reading you logs write script to parse logs and email alerts. Big part of being a SysAdmin is scripting tasks one to save time, but two to insure they get done the same way every time. Build various types of servers to work on your private server farm, DNS, web, DB, proxy, and so on. There are lots of articles on SysAdmin daily routine read those and figure out how to do them and automate them.

Linux System Administration: First Tasks | Linux Journal

Last read posts on site like this one and if you read something you don't understand research it. Keep a set of notes they can come in handy and just writing things down make the knowledge stick.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Regarding your comments about SED, AWK, etc. I rarely use awk, but I use sed a lot to massage data into a format that I want, such as CSV files, from some input that is not in that form. The sed command set has a lot of flexibility, including looping constructs so you can repeated execute a transformation on a line of text repeatedly until all candidate strings are converted. I use that to convert data extracted from a Hadoop/HBase database into CSV format for import into a spreadsheet. The sed script is kept in the shell script, and then written to a temporary sed script file, which is then processed with sed. That way, I don't need to ship the script along with another file (the sed script).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "What you think about me is none of my business"