Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
OK, I know that there is reference for beginners on the site and the material looks good, but I'm trying to find something that's more of a guide/ walk through. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120

    Guide for beginners??


    OK, I know that there is reference for beginners on the site and the material looks good, but I'm trying to find something that's more of a guide/ walk through.

    So far I've tried Arch, didn't get anywhere.

    Installed Ubuntu, that turned itself into a brick

    Just tried Bohdi - it's been spinning around for about half an hour doing absolutely nothing.

    So I'm obviously incapable of doing this independently!

    I'll also add that I've used a version of Fedora inside VM Ware that I've had no problems with. that version was for a course that I'm following...so i really don't know what to think

    EDIT

    I've tried to load on two laptops - both 64 bit. One with Win 8 the other Win 7
    Both laptops have been using VM Ware
    To install I have Googled the distro, then downloaded the ISO file. Then loaded that ISO file into the VM
    Haven't seen any error messages / crash reports etc
    Last edited by Chup; 03-23-2014 at 10:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Linux Engineer TNFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Crossville, TN. USA
    Posts
    871
    How are you installing the Distros? I've used UNetbootin and had great success with it. Just make a "Live" USB stick and boot to it then you can either take the Distro for a Test Drive or install it. Distros that I've had pretty good luck with and that work for me are Point Linux 2.3, Kali 1.0.6(for slightly more advance users but still can be used as a Daily Driver if you create an Admin account to run from), SolydX and Ubuntu/GNOME.
    Download UNetbootin onto whatever computer you're using then download Point Linux 2.3 and put it onto a USB stick and give it a look. The MATE desktop is very user friendly and easy to get around on and runs quite fast on most hardware.
    Hope you can find something that you'll like, Linux is absolutely the BEST Op System on the Planet.

  3. #3
    Linux Engineer docbop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Woodshed, CA
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    How are you installing the Distros? I've used UNetbootin and had great success with it. Just make a "Live" USB stick and boot to it then you can either take the Distro for a Test Drive or install it. Distros that I've had pretty good luck with and that work for me are Point Linux 2.3, Kali 1.0.6(for slightly more advance users but still can be used as a Daily Driver if you create an Admin account to run from), SolydX and Ubuntu/GNOME.
    Download UNetbootin onto whatever computer you're using then download Point Linux 2.3 and put it onto a USB stick and give it a look. The MATE desktop is very user friendly and easy to get around on and runs quite fast on most hardware.
    Hope you can find something that you'll like, Linux is absolutely the BEST Op System on the Planet.
    The only Linux working for him is one someone else installed and made into a VM. Maybe because I spent a long time on tech support, I have a feeling there is something going on we're not being told, that was the usual case in support.

  4. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    3,190
    Arch is a difficult distribution to use for a beginner.

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide

    Ubuntu is pretty easy and widely used with well over 20 million users world wide.
    Fedora is good for bleeding edge hardware but has very short term support and new releases very frequently.

    You didn't post any information on your hardware so we don't know if you have the latest hardware or something 10+ years old. All the distributions you mentioned have web sites on which they list the minimum hardware requirements which should have been checked before trying to install.

    Even if you actually wanted help, with the information you have posted there is no way anyone would know where to begin. No information on what you tried, how you tried, the medium you used, how you got the medium and any messages you got when you were trying to install.

  5. #5
    Linux Engineer TNFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Crossville, TN. USA
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Ubuntu is pretty easy and widely used with well over 20 million users world wide.
    .
    I've been using Linux for just over a year now and I've still not gotten up the nerve to try an Arch install, LOL.
    Ubuntu is stupid simple to install via Live USB or Live CD/DVD. I started my Linux journey with Ubuntu 12.04LTS and if I could have installed it "way back then" then anyone can.
    You guys are right, there's been a lot of info left out. How is he trying to install the Distro, USB, CD/DVD, Net Install??? What kind of hardware is he running. If you try to install a 64 bit Op System onto a 32 bit computer it'll either give you an error message or just sit there and look at you with a blank screen. Does he have the right version, either 32 bit or 64 bit.
    I installed Point Linux a few months ago on my daughter's old Dell L866r which has an 866MHz single core processor. I upgraded the RAM to it's full 512MB and put in my old DVD-RW drive and 60GB HDD from my dead iMac and the Point Linux install took a good 2+ hours to get going.
    Last week I installed SolydX onto it and that was a good hour and a half so with older machines it can take some time to get the install going.

    We need more info here I think but Point Linux or SolydX would be a good place to start your Linux adventure.

  6. #6
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    The only Linux working for him is one someone else installed and made into a VM. Maybe because I spent a long time on tech support, I have a feeling there is something going on we're not being told, that was the usual case in support.
    Yeah I'm sure there is, there's more than likely user error on my part as I'm learning and don't really know what I'm doing. Not sure what the information is though

  7. #7
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    We need more info here
    Cheers, some pretty obvious stuff I left out sorry about that

    How is he trying to install the Distro :

    Downloading an ISO File from the 'distros' site (not sure if thats the right term or not) and loading that up in the VM

    What kind of hardware is he running :

    Different, this laptop is Win 7,the other is Win 8. Processor wise I'm sure sure other than that they're both 64 bit

    Does he have the right version

    Pretty sure I've used 64 bit each time.

    if I could have installed it "way back then" then anyone can


    It installed, worked...then after turning off and back on it was a brick, no error message, nothing. Just loaded up, couldn't use mouse or keyboard. I've deleted that now.

    I think but Point Linux or SolydX would be a good place to start your Linux adventure.


    I'll bear them in mind

  8. #8
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post

    You didn't post any information on your hardware so we don't know if you have the latest hardware or something 10+ years old..
    Updated original post, sorry about that

  9. #9
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120
    How do I know which kernal version to use??

    Trying to load point from their page it says 2.3...But I don't know if that number is specific to them or it's related to the kernal or what it is. I don't have an option for 2.3 in the VM selection though


  10. #10
    Linux Engineer TNFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Crossville, TN. USA
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by Chup View Post

    It installed, worked...then after turning off and back on it was a brick, no error message, nothing. Just loaded up, couldn't use mouse or keyboard. I've deleted that now.
    Sounds like you used gparted or which ever program the Distro had to format your hard drive but was running the Distro from the Live USB. Once you pulled the USB you then booted to a formatted hard drive with nothing on it.
    Some of these Distros are tricky, especially if you're using gparted to format the hard drive. Took me a few tries to figure out where to put "/" root and that I needed to format the drive to ext4 then point root at that after it was formated to install the Distro.
    You need to make up a Live USB of Ubuntu 31.10(or wait a few days and get 14.04) and then shut down the computer, install the USB and boot to it. Then follow the install instructions and see if you can actually get the Distro installed on the hard drive or not.
    Sometimes a Distro will tell you "Remove the USB and hit Enter" and sometimes it won't. That's when you just have to kind of know when you've shut down after install that you need to pull the USB so you'll boot to the hard drive and not back into the USB.
    I'm sure you can do this, it's not Rocket Surgery, LOL. Just keep at it and give it another try.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •