Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
O.K....Almost there.Here is what I have: Dell Dimension 8100 One 120 gig hardrive (partitioned to a C drive and a D drive, windows XP is on C and Ubuntu 12.04 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Trying to install on Second Internal Hardrive?

O.K....Almost there.Here is what I have: Dell Dimension 8100
    One 120 gig hardrive
    (partitioned to a C drive and a D drive, windows XP
    is on C and Ubuntu 12.04 is onD drive to dual boot)
    One 120 Gig hardrive labeled E drive
    What I tried to do is install Linux Mint 13 onto the second drive E so that I could boot to either Windows XP, Ubuntu 12.04, or Mint 13.
    During the install with Mint I partitioned the E Drive into 4 partions20gig went to /root, 86gig went to /home, 10 gig went to /windows as a shared file and 4gig went to swap (double my ram)
    My intention is to eventually dump windows and use only Mint or Ubuntu, when I can get linux to work with my scanner (it is currently unsupported)
    I now can still dual boot to XP or Ubuntu but there is no option to boot the E drive with MINT.
    Bios wont give me any options other than boot from cd rom, hardrive, or floppy. I understand that windows 7 gives more options. I thought if I download a boot manager it would get me those options. I downloaded Boot-Us and when I was about to install to disk it showed that there was no bootable drive on the E drive. Tried to get a screen shot of it but the prt screen stopped working on Xp (still works in Ubuntu) so below is a text report of what Boot-Us found:

================================================== =============================
    Disk 1: 111.8 GiB, 14593 Cyl., 255 Heads, 63 Sec. (Boot disk 1)
    ST3120026A (S/N 5JS616ZJ)
    ================================================== =============================
    Part. Label Type ID Status Size
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1 System (C NTFS 3.1 07 pri,active 39.16 GiB
    #2 Data (D NTFS 3.1 07 pri 72.63 GiB
    Part. #1: Entry 0 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 39.16 GiB, Disk position = 31.50 KiB to 39.16 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 0/1/1, End C/H/S = 1023/254/63 (Part table)
    Start C/H/S = 0/1/1, End C/H/S = 5111/254/63 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 63, Num. Sec. = 82124217 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 63, Num. Sec. = 82124217 (effective)

Part. #2: Entry 1 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 72.63 GiB, Disk position = 39.16 GiB to 111.8 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 1023/0/1, End C/H/S = 1023/254/63 (Part table)
    Start C/H/S = 5112/0/1, End C/H/S = 14592/254/63 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 82124280, Num. Sec. = 152312265 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 82124280, Num. Sec. = 152312265 (effective)

Disk 2: 111.8 GiB, 14593 Cyl., 255 Heads, 63 Sec. (Boot disk 2)
    ST3120026A (S/N 5JT5X1Z7)
    Part. Label Type ID Status Size
    #1 Linux nat. 83 pri,active 18.63 GiB
    #2 ext. Part. 05 ext 93.16 GiB
    #5 Linux nat. 83 log 80.09 GiB
    #6 (E FAT32 0B log 9.31 GiB
    #7 Linux swap 82 log 3.75 GiB
    Part. #1: Entry 0 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 18.63 GiB, Disk position = 1.00 MiB to 18.63 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 0/32/33, End C/H/S = 1023/254/63 (Part table)
    Start C/H/S = 0/32/33, End C/H/S = 2431/151/24 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 2048, Num. Sec. = 39061504 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 2048, Num. Sec. = 39061504 (effective)

Part. #2: Entry 1 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 93.16 GiB, Disk position = 18.63 GiB to 111.8 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 1023/254/63, End C/H/S = 1023/254/63 (Part table)
    Start C/H/S = 2431/183/55, End C/H/S = 14593/66/1 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 39065598, Num. Sec. = 195375106 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 39065598, Num. Sec. = 195375106 (effective)

Part. #5: Entry 0 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 80.09 GiB, Disk position = 18.63 GiB to 98.72 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 2431/183/57, End C/H/S = 12887/42/19 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 2, Num. Sec. = 167966720 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 39065600, Num. Sec. = 167966720 (effective)

Part. #6: Entry 0 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 9.31 GiB, Disk position = 98.72 GiB to 108.0 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 12887/74/52, End C/H/S = 14102/245/31 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 2048, Num. Sec. = 19529728 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 207034368, Num. Sec. = 19529728 (effective)

Part. #7: Entry 0 in partition table (range 0..3)
    Size = 3.75 GiB, Disk position = 108.0 GiB to 111.8 GiB
    Start C/H/S = 14103/23/1, End C/H/S = 14593/66/1 (effective)
    rel. Sec. = 1449, Num. Sec. = 7874560 (Part table)
    Start LBA = 226566144, Num. Sec. = 7874560 (effective)

I think I installed correctly as I can see the root, home and shared fat32 file in Ubuntu. Cant see the swap file though. And I think Boot-Us sees it too.
    My question is, should I install Boot-us to the Hardrive and will I accomplish what I am after or will I screw up my system. Is there a simply way to be able to boot up E drive into Mint. Boot-Us looks pretty scary and I dont feel I know enough .Not that familiar with Terminal also. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for all the details. Thanks in Advance!
    John P

Linux Guru
    If you installed Mint on a second drive and are booting from the first drive with the Ubuntu Grub
    bootloader then it has no way to know you installed another system. If you installed Mint Grub
    bootloader either to the mbr of the 2nd drive or to its root partition, the easiest thing to do would
    be to boot Ubuntu and run the following command consecutively. Watch the output and make note of
    any errors/warning or other messages.

sudo os-prober
    sudo update-grub
    If you get a message that os-prober is not installed, it will tell you how to do it if you have an
    internet connection. The info you posted shows two windows partiitons on the first drive and on
    the second drive a primary Linux partition and a Linux logical partition, a windows logical and your
    swap. That makes me wonder where is your Ubuntu? or where is Mint if you say you can boot Ubuntu?
    You don't have enough Linux partitions for both. The partitions you indicate you created for Mint
    show on the second disk but there are no partiitons for Ubuntu? Is Ubuntu just a wubi install? Also try from Ubuntu with both disks attached running this command:

sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) and post that output here.

I was going to say, I don't think you can install Linux on a fat32 partition, you need ext4 or something similar. Also, wouldn't Windows need to be on an NTFS partition? Not an expert at this but it just seems, well, kind of odd to have Windows and Ubuntu on a fat32 patition.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I was going to say, I don't think you can install Linux on a fat32 partition, you need ext4 or something similar. Also, wouldn't Windows need to be on an NTFS partition? Not an expert at this but it just seems, well, kind of odd to have Windows and Ubuntu on a fat32 patition.
    He has one of the Linux installs (Mint?) on the second drive which has two Linux partitions, sdb1 and sdb5 and sdb7 is swap. Partition 6 on that drive is the FAT32 which he indicates in the original post is a shared partition. His windows 7 is on the other drive, sda1 the system and sda2 the Data.

I don't really see where he has 2 Linux systems, unless Ubuntu is wubi??

Just Joined!
    Yes, you are right. Ubuntu was installed through Wubi onto the first drive. I don't know why it shows that there is windows 8 on "C" drive though. I only have XP installed. I did get Mint 13 to work finally. See screenshot below for what I did in terminal. I stumbled around until I entered the (sudo update-grub) line, and that worked. When the Computer boots up it gives me the option to boot into windows XP or Ubuntu. I choose Ubuntu, and then I get the Ubuntu boot screen that gives me the choice to boot into xp, ubuntu, or Mint 13. The Shared fat32 file seems to work accross all os's. Seems like there should be an easier way to boot from a choice of drives to begin with. What will the comand sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) do? Can I do that in the Mint OS? My goal is to simplify things... eventually to Ubuntu on first drive and Mint 13 on second drive and be able to boot independantly from each other. Thanks for your inputs!

Attachment 5613

Screenshot.jpg

Linux Guru
    When I click on 'Attachment 5613', I get invalid attachment? I don't know where it shows windows 8?
    When you see the option to boot XP or Ubuntu, that is the windows bootloader. When you select Ubuntu from that menu, you are seeing the Ubuntu Grub bootloader which then shows all three options, xp, Ubuntu and Mint. The wubi install (Windows UBuntu Installer) puts an entry for Ubuntu in the windows xp boot menu. Updating Grub from Ubuntu detected all three systems.

Seems like there should be an easier way to boot from a choice of drives to begin with
    There is. You would use the Grub bootloader in the master boot record pointing to your Linux install. The reason you have the dual boot menus is because you installed Ubuntu as a program inside windows which uses the windows bootloader. If you installed the Mint bootloader to the master boot record, you should then just have one boot menu. You could install the Mint bootloader to the mbr of sdb, the second drive then do an update-grub and set the second drive to first boot priority. You could also install the Mint Grub to the mbr of sda and leave it as first boot priority. Don't really know what you want. Booting a Linux system from xp or most windows systems is a real pain.

What will the comand sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) do?
    It doesn't 'do' anything, it just displays hard drive and partition information as used in Linux.

If you want to boot Mint from the second drive and want to install Ubuntu on its own partiiton on the first drive, you can do that after installing Ubuntu. You would install the Ubuntu Grub bootloader to the mbr of your first drive and if you have the Mint drive attached when installing, your Ubuntu boot menu should show all three options.

Just Joined!
    That attachment was a screen shot of what I did to get grub to update and finally get mint on the boot menu. I originally saw windows 8 on "C" drive in the GUI display when I opened the boot management program "Boot-Us", while in windows xp. Tried to do a screen capture, but that function no longer works in Xp for some reason (it worked before installing Ubuntu). Here is a screenshot after using the prompt (sudo fdisk -l) you gave me (this was taken while in Mint). I added this using the insert image tab , so I hope it shows up.

Screenshot-1.jpg

It's all making more sense now that you have explained what is happening ! At the time the only way I could install any linux distro was with Wubi. I tried burning Iso's from Zorin, Mint Petra, etc. Burning to cd rom was not possible due to the large ISO file, so I burned them using the dvd burner/player.But the bios in xp didn't have a choice to boot from that drive. I finally got the dvd player to boot first by physically opening up the computer and changing the cable select jumpers to master and slave jumper on the dvd player and cd rom player respectively.

Am I to understand that the master boot record is actually a small program in the motherboard of the Dell computer, and is what boots up an operating system regardless of what it is?

If that is the case, here is what I would like to accomplish:

I would like to be able to boot Mint from the second drive, and have that drive boot first, with the choice to boot into Ubuntu and windows from there. I still need to keep windows xp, because many of my peripherals (scanner, garmin nuvii,zte phone, second monitor, etc. aren't recognized in linux. ( tried opening in Wine but no luck yet).I will enventually add Ubuntu or another distro on the first drive, all by itself.
    So two drives...Mint on #2
    Ubuntu/XP on #1
    Mint starting first, with option to boot to the others.
    Can you tell me what I have to do step by step keeping in mind I have never worked with the master boot record?
    Also what to type in Terminal? Including spacing, etc. Still shaky about how to use the Terminal.

Thanks again! You have been very helpful, and I hope this thread helps otherswith two drives!

John P

dupe dupe . . .
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Quote Originally Posted by zyanni View Post
    . . .

. . .

It's all making more sense now . . .

Still shaky about how to use the Terminal.

Thanks again! You have been very helpful, and I hope this thread helps otherswith two drives!

John P
    Good it's getting clearer!
    You lucked out -- yancek's one of the best.
    As to the latter -- check here.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Linux Guru
    I would like to be able to boot Mint from the second drive, and have that drive boot first, with the choice to boot into Ubuntu and windows from there.
    The Mint drive is probably sdb. You should install from Mint, the Grub bootloader to the master boot record of that drive, sdb, if you have not already done that. Then in your BIOS, set the second drive to first boot priority. If your Mint boot menu does not currently have Ubuntu and xp in its menu, run: sudo update-grub from Mint to add them. The link below has explanations on installing the Grub bootloader. It is Ubuntu but, everything should work the same with Mint.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...talling_GRUB_2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast