Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I just wanted to Dual Boot Linux on my laptop, so I thought that I'd make a USB drive...? ? Not working though, I've downloaded Linux Mint Mate for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Create bootable USB Drive

I just wanted to Dual Boot Linux on my laptop, so I thought that I'd make a USB drive...? ?

Not working though, I've downloaded Linux Mint Mate for the distro... And I'm trying to use a program from unetbootin but it's not picking up any drive's from my computer, so I don't know what the problem there is...

Any one suggest a good way to do this? Or a better way to do what I'm doing?

Cheers

Linux Newbie
    I think it might be my USB drive actually, as I'm trying to do the Fedora distro using their tool now and that's also saying that there's no detectable removable devices, although there is. I've taken it out / put it back in etc and windows is picking it up but the LiveUSB creator isn't.

Is this because it has hot-swap? seem's a bit of a crap reason but I can't think of much else...

Linux Engineer
    You may need to format the drive. In Linux the drive may be recognized but not mounted. Usually a drive mounts when inserted but if the file system isn't compatible with any drivers on your system it might not. lsusb can be used to display usb buses and the goodies plugged into them.

Linux Newbie
    cheers greg - drives formatted... I'm trying to create the Bootable USB from within Windows.

Linux Engineer
    If you formatted fat32 it may not work on some Linux. NTFS works more reliably.

Linux Newbie
    Oh right, I read that it had to be FAT32, must have read that wrong! Not that surprising...

Just NTFS reformatted the stick - Fedora still isn't picking it up though

I've tried copying the ISO to the USB drive, get this on the computer : restart.jpg

Burnt ISO to a DVD, that's not working either.

I'm pretty sure linux hates me

Linux Engineer
    You can't copy an ISO - they have to be written to device in question. That's where Unetbootin comes in - or in the case of a DVD - a burner that can write ISO images. I don't use Windows and can't help you with the specifics there I'm afraid.

Linux doesn't hate you it's just playing a little hard to get.

Linux Newbie
    apparently so! I can't use the unetbootin because it doesn't pick up the usb drive

balls...

I'll try making one with IMG-Burn...

Not sure what the beef is between these programs and my USB stick though :/

Linux Newbie
    OK - IMG-Burn with a DVD worked, I have Ubuntu rolling on the laptop...

Though I wanted to try this on a different computer that doesn't have a DVD drive, so It's a yay but nay kind of situation really...

Linux Newbie
    well decided to wipe my windows and use Ubuntu on this computer while I'm here... Not really what I set out to do, especially seeing at it's 4:20 am now. Bad planning

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast