Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I've done a lot of searching and reading about Linux but still have a couple questions regarding Linux compatibility with Citrix (ica.client). Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Linux with Citrix

Hello. I've done a lot of searching and reading about Linux but still have a couple questions regarding Linux compatibility with Citrix (ica.client). Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find the answer.

I'm using a Dell PC that has Windows XP on it. While considering upgrading to Windows 7 I performed the compatibility test, which told me it was not compatible due to my PC's 256MB ATI Radeon Driver x600, and "virtualization technology not supported".

I'm wondering if those issues would prevent me from being able to use Linux.

Also, I'm waiting for Mint 17 to be released towards the end of May before installing Linux, but wondering if there's any reason it would be incompatible with Citrix, since Citrix is slow to upgrade. For example, as they were with Internet Explorer upgrades. (I realize Mint is an OS not a browser, just giving an example.)

My main use for the PC is using it to get on Citrix for work, and as a backup to my laptop for all other uses. Just from everything I've read I'm thinking Mint would be as good as any of the Linux 'flavors', but if I'm wrong I'd appreciate advice.

Looking forward to installing Linux, and patiently waiting for the release of Mint 17.

Thanks in advance. BTW, I'm not tech savvy but do follow directions fairly well, so I'm thinking I'll be able to make the install as long as there aren't any serious issues that go way above my head.

Jeff

Citrix works fine on my Linux devices, all the way back to an old Asus eee-pc. You can get the .deb file from Citrix and install it with gdebi or whatever. The standard browser in most Linux distros is Firefox, FWIW. Mint should work as well as anything else for you, since it's targeted more at Windws refugees than most other distros. After using it and learning something about Linux, you can move on to other distros if you want, or stay with Mint, whatever works for you.

Just Joined!
    Thanks sgosnell. Sounds like I'll be ok with either waiting for Mint 17 or using one that's available now. Will probably wait until late May for that one.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You may as well get started learning now. Upgrading to the newer version should be painless.

Just Joined!
    I ended up installing Ubuntu 12.04, and it was fairly easy thanks to all the reading I'd done and a good Youtube video I followed as I went through each step. Problem I have now is there's only one Citrix download on their website and it's for Linux 13. Tomorrow I'll look around some more as I know I saw more options somewhere. Would hate to have to uninstall the work I did today and install a different Linux version but I may have to.

No, that's Citrix V13, it has nothing to do with Linux 13, since there is no such thing. Ubuntu is not Linux. Every distro has a different numbering system, and each package has its own separate numbering system. Citrix 13 will run on any current Linux distro, whether it's Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, or anything else. Get the .deb package, since Ubuntu, being a Debian-based distro, uses the same package format as Debian. You can download it and install it with any of the installation tools available.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again. What confused me is that on the Citrix's download page it says for Linux 13, so I thought they were possibly referring to Mint 13. I'll give the Citrix download a shot tomorrow.

If it works I wont have to try replacing Ubuntu with Mint as I tried and failed to do today. I messed up somehow when it came to assigning space, and have no idea what happened to Mint, but Ubuntu and Windows XP are still there. Obviously trying to have XP, Ubuntu, and Mint all on the same PC wasn't a wise decision. Either Mint didn't take, or it's hidden somewhere, as it doesn't show when I boot up. Only choices are still XP and Ubuntu. Not a big deal though, as my main concern is setting the PC up for Citrix use on Linux.

I'm learning as I go, and doing things I would have been afraid of doing previously for fear I'd hose my PC up. Thanks to Microsoft ending support of XP I'm experimenting a bit, and enjoying it. I've spent hours this weekend working on it, as well as exploring Ubuntu and Linux in general. Just wish I had started with Mint, but oh well, I'll be happy enough with Ubuntu and it'll serve my purpose.

Mint is just Ubuntu, with the desktop changed, and a few additional drivers. Ubuntu is a snapshot Debian Unstable, with a color change and a few tweaks to the desktop. Actually a lot of tweaks of the desktop environment. I prefer Debian Unstable, which is, IME, more stable than Ubuntu and more to my taste, but that's a subjective opinion.