Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Guys if this section is not the proper section for my Q, please forgive me. I wish to install Linux in my rig, but I am unsure on as to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Super noob to Linux

Guys if this section is not the proper section for my Q, please forgive me.

I wish to install Linux in my rig, but I am unsure on as to the suitable OS of Linux, which would be suitable for my rig.

This would be the configuration of my rig:

Hp xw9400 workstation
    Processor : AMD Opteron Dual Core Processor 2218 x
    2 (it is 2 physical unit)
    Memory : 2GB x 4
    HDD : SAS 70GB x 1
    VGA : NVIDIA QUADRO FX3500

I also wish to inquire, in the event I successfully install Linux, will it be able to recognise my other OS in my home network ?
    I.e. Windows & Mac.

I wish to run the Linux installed rig as a file server and also for browsing purposes. As such, would I face an issue for softwares for downloading?

Will the softwares which run in windows 7, be able to run in Linux ?

Sorry guys ....I am a super noob...and have a tonn of questions. Thank you so much.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Shifted to newbie...

That hardware should be OK for most distributions, if you have the bandwidth, it will be worth downloading a few to see which you like. As you are a newbie, try some or all of:

Linux Mint
    Solydxk
    Mageia
    Ubuntu (or variant such as Xubuntu and Kubuntu) 14.04 which a long term support release will be available soon.
    Fedora
    openSUSE
    PC-BSD (Not Linux but it is a *NIX)

Linux uses a service called Samba to speak the SMB protocol as used by Windows so you should be fine there. I have no knowledge of the Mac but I suspect it uses the same as it derives from BSD. Samba is relatively straight forward to configure if you are prepared to spend a bit of time reading Internet articles and trying things out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "an issue for softwares for downloading" but Linux stores it's software in repositories. You install it using "package management" which will typically vary depending on the distribution you choose. This is similar to, but much older than an app store.

Windows 7 software in Linux? No. Well, maybe, using a translation layer called Wine. To be honest, if you need to run Windows software then you are always going to be better off in Windows but there are usually fully featured alternatives available. The main exception to this will be games but even that is starting to change with the arrival of Steam.

Don't worry about asking questions.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Ditto on Ubuntu 14.04LTS. It would be a good place to start since Ubuntu has a very large community to draw info from. Linux Mint MATE or Point Linux 2.3 "Taya"(also with a MATE desktop) would also be a couple good Distros to try. Since they're free you can download them and use UNetbootin to make a "Live" USB stick to boot to so you can see if you like the Distro or not. If you do it's easy enough to click the "install" icon and follow the instructions to install it onto your hard drive.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    First off, i would thank the Mod for transferring my thread to the correct section.

Elija, much thanks for the detailed explanation.

Since the hardware would be fine and given that at the moment i do not have the bandwidth, i wish to make do with Ubuntu 11.04, which i would be able to get my hands on.

What i dont know is, whether this version is considered as a version which more or less like Window 7 or it is more like a windows XP version. What i mean is, is it considered as a primitif version of Ubuntu or otherwise.

Will i be able to download soft wares for it, without much hassle ...yeap free soft wares of course

Since you said it will not be an issue to connect with Window in a home network, i guess i should be able to connect to a Mac.

What i meant by "issues for wares" is whether it will be easy to obtain soft wares for Linux. i.e. say i want to download some video off U-Tube, will it be easy to find uch a soft ware ? are there any default wares in a Linux to do these tasks ?

....so windows wares will not work in Linux. i get that.

The reason i want to install Linux is, to run my rig as a file server via a home network. Just normal server tasks....being a bank in the home network. I opted for Linux rather than windows because, Windows easily gets infected.

I believe that Linux is somewhat like a Mac, with barrier to certain extent from being easily infected.

Still i do not know if it will work. I guess i will have to try it then. But still i would require your opinion on the 11.04. btw, would you mind explaining what Fuduntu is.... is it anoter version of Linux ?

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

Just Joined!
    thanks Frank,

its going to take some time for me to digest what you have explained.

i am totally a noob in Linux, i dont understand much of the terminologies used in Linux.

Just Joined!
    Just another important Q. I had much earlier in my life tried a version of Redhat, which i had to use commands to execute actions. Is this still the case for Linux ? or is it Just like Windows, full of mouse clicks...

Quote Originally Posted by sureshk0505 View Post
    Just another important Q. I had much earlier in my life tried a version of Redhat, which i had to use commands to execute actions. Is this still the case for Linux ? or is it Just like Windows, full of mouse clicks...
    There are Linux desktops that you can click, click, click, on, but the real power of Linux (and any OS including Windows) is in terminals typing text. Advantage with Linux there are many desktops available unlike Windows or Mac where you use what they give you and that's it.

Be open minded it's not Windows, take time to get up to speed, and you'll never look back.
    sureshk0505 likes this.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshk0505 View Post
    thanks Frank,

its going to take some time for me to digest what you have explained.

i am totally a noob in Linux, i dont understand much of the terminologies used in Linux.
    Hey, no problem pard. I was where you're at just over a year ago. Having come over from my iMac and OS-X I knew nothing about Linux but this forum has helped me out A LOT. There's a lot of great folks here that really know their stuff and can answer even the dumbest question and I should know because in the beginning I ask a lot of em'. LOL.
    Just take it slow and start with a good Distro that has a lot of support like Ubuntu and you can't go very wrong. Once you get your feet wet then you can move to Debian and out to other base Distros like Fedora or Manjaro to learn more.
    See ya' on the forums and remember, have fun and don't get stressed out.
    sureshk0505 likes this.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

who
    Just Joined!
    welcome to the forum!
    sureshk0505 likes this.

Linux Guru
    Using Ubuntu 11.04 would be a bad idea because support for it ended over a year ago. That means you would not be able to get security updates or download software without going through a convoluted process of searching for archives on the Ubuntu server and hoping you can find it. The current Long Term Support version of Ubuntu is 12.04 and a new LTS release 14.04, is being released today.

With Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, you should download software from their repositories. They have their own servers which are checked regularly so you don't have to go searching willy-nilly all over the internet and not know what you are getting unless you know it as valid software. This is one of the main ways windows users get their machines infected.

Zorin Linux is a derivative of Ubuntu and claims to try to be the most like windows so if that is what you want, you might give it a try.
    sureshk0505 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast