Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

flash on linux ?

will get right to the point, for a college project i am making a museum display mock-up.

the interface is designed in flash (yes i know .... )

the computer I have to run it is AMD E-350 2x 1.6GHz Processor, 2GB RAM and lets just say flash playback is not great at all.

i was given a lend of it and at the moment its running xp (and honestly full of junk but i can delete anything on it including xp) i am wondering I put a light clean linux distro on it would it help , opinions ?

I really only need the os that I can install flash player 11 and get good playback and leave it on display for a few days.

so opinions , would linux be worth looking at ?

Linux Engineer
    Google Chrome (from google.com, not 'chromium') comes with flash player embedded. Any major distro can run it. I suggest Debian or Linux Mint with Xfce for older hardware.
    Other possibilities include Crunchbang or Lubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Google Chrome (from google.com, not 'chromium') comes with flash player embedded. Any major distro can run it. I suggest Debian or Linux Mint with Xfce for older hardware.
    Other possibilities include Crunchbang or Lubuntu.

ok thanks , but i dont want to run flash in a browser need the dedicated player. Has is performance in flash for most linux distro ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by eimarius View Post
    ok thanks , but i dont want to run flash in a browser need the dedicated player. Has is performance in flash for most linux distro ?
    In chrome, I don't notice any difference than Windows on similar hardware. XP is severely slowed by all the .NET stuff that was crammed into it over the years. It started as a fairly light, able OS.

Flash = video processing. AMD E-350 is obviously gonna be on the low end, but should be able to handle a basic Flash video. Find a distro that has the least use of video memory and processing (crunch bang is a good start) that will run the software you need.

Check out Adobe Flash Player - Downloads
    There is a section for Linux. Third link is "Adobe Projector" in that section. I believe that is a stand alone flash player. I have never used it, but if that's what you need you shouldn't have any problems. It's a compressed tar (archive) file, which means you'll need to extract the archive (similar to a zip file in Windows). Inside the archive you'll likely find an install script or instructions on how to use. Google is your friend. Good luck, don't be afraid to start a new thread if you need help installing, etc.