Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Differences between linux distributions from the underlying code view

Hi,
    I am a beginner to linux. I would like to understand the following.

a) If I take the following linux distros as examples
    Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and Centos -
    -what are the differences between these 4 from an underlying code standpoint.

Reason for the question: To understand whether testing a virtual appliance (targeted for one linux version) will work on the other.

b) Any good internet resource you can point me to understand how these versions are different would be very helpful

Thank You
    Ami..

-->
    Out of the hundred of Linux distros out there they all in general have their roots in one of a few Linux families. Of those families the two main ones that probably 90% of the distros derive from are Debian and Redhat. Of the distros you mentions you have Debian and its popular dervation Ubuntu (which Ubuntu has many variations). Then you have Fedora and Centos which are both close variations of RedHat.

From a QA testing standpoint you want at a minimum Debian and probably Ubuntu, then Fedora. That will get you a large part of the Linux market. The main difffence between these is more about package managers, variations in init systems and configurions. You need to familiar with Unix Systems under the hood to really understand how they vary.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.