Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a problem trying to launch Linux from a live media in this system: ASUS A7S8X-MX, AMD Sempron 2200+, Radeon 9250, 2GB RAM. The problem is most probably the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATI drivers in live media

I'm having a problem trying to launch Linux from a live media in this system:
    ASUS A7S8X-MX, AMD Sempron 2200+, Radeon 9250, 2GB RAM.
    The problem is most probably the old Radeon card.

The machine's graphics card is listed as unsupported by the most recent proprietary drivers and I can find many ways to install the drivers from within an OS interface by googling, bu that's not what I need now.

I would like to bundle the right drivers in a live image.
    To do so I read that some modifications have to be done to the Linux kernel.

Before proceeding I'd like to ask:
    1) are the ATI open source drivers even supposed to work from a live image?
    2) is there any method to add drivers to a live image of any given Linux distribution that is quicker then modifying the Linux kernel?
    3) how can I check an existing kernel to determine if some drivers are already present so that I may know the problem is elsewhere?

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You should be able to boot into text mode, and then install the necessary drivers for the installation process.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    well, in the end LinuxMint17 "just worked" in compatibility mode from the unetbootin splash menu. since this computer is my parent's computer and LinuxMint comes with localized documentation and forums I guess I'm fine with this.

However I'm still curious about methods of booting to text mode from a live media.

I read some Ubuntu installation images are supposed to work in text mode by default, or you can append some values to have the OS boot in text mode.

reference:
    ubuntuforums.org /showthread.php?t=1892030

Is text mode selection and availability from a live image completely dependent on the distribution and specific live media?

----------

What parameters need to be changed in the image files to make the system boot into text mode?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close