Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Heyo! I'm currently 14 years old, entering high school. I've recently quit video games and I want to focus on coding/servers/dev stuff. I've heard lots of it and I browse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What laptop should I get?

Heyo! I'm currently 14 years old, entering high school. I've recently quit video games and I want to focus on coding/servers/dev stuff. I've heard lots of it and I browse on hackforums.net for fun, looking at various threads. I've heard Linux is extremely recommended when programming/networking stuff. Since I want to dive into that sort of stuff, I've narrowed down my two topics.
    I've been looking for a laptop that could possibly handle some games (Like minecraft) but nothing too serious. I was thinking of eventually starting to do video editing so something that could pack a punch. I'm working a job in December where I could afford the laptop.

Linux
    : ZaReason Alto X445 - Finding a laptop that is (sort of) thin and has good hardware wasn't easy, but I found the Alto.

Windows: Pulse 17 - Its thin, has good specs, the price tag isn't pretty. I was thinking maybe if I could dedicate a good amount of RAM to a VM on Windows, I could get compatibility with popular video editing software and driver support for all the common microphones/headsets.

Mac?: 17 Inch Retina - Its stupidly expensive and (I've heard) very restrictive, however they'd let me bring my Macbook Pro into class to work with. I'd try and find a way to get Linux on the Mac.

I know I'm throwing a lot at you guys. What should I get?

I'd get an inexpensive one with at least a Core Duo, 2GB of RAM and a 2.5" HDD so you can replace it with a nice SDD at a later date off of EBay. I've currently picked up 4 different laptops(two NC6400's, a NC4400 and my latest a Dell D420) and paid right around $50 bucks for each of them. They all work great with quite a few Linux Distros that I've tried one em' and I don't have a lot invested into them so if I need to sell one I won't out anything. In fact I could probably sell them for more then I paid.
    Shop around on EBay and watch for a deal, that's my advice as far as getting a laptop goes.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Generally I agree with TNFrank, but if you want a new system for Linux, then get the ZaReason. Disclaimer, Kathy Malmrose, the founder/CEO of ZaReason is a friend, but they do great gear and are very helpful for their customers. All the hardware will work out-of-the-box. No futzing around required like I had to do to get the WiFi working on my Dell D630 when I installed Scientific Linux on it (a derivative of RHEL similar to CentOS). If you DO need to run Windoze on your laptop, then you can install it in a virtual machine under Linux. In any case, Linux as a host OS is much more reliable, and less susceptible to viruses and other malware than any Windows OS. That's what I do, though you can also dual-boot Linux and Windows, but bear in mind that can be difficult to set up with new Windows systems that use the UEFI bios.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you have the funds. Then like Gumbi says. You can't go wrong with Zareason. Watch this Linux Action Show 322 to get their opinion on Zareason Laptops and how they prefer gaming on their Zareason
    Laptops
    vs their Full Blown tricked out Desktop Units.

Me. I have more hardware than a caveman can shake a stike at. But. Like the irresponsible scooter tramp kid that I am. I got a bid going on with a HP ChromeOS netbook.
    Even though I have a Acer ChromeOS netbook already. Freaking boys and their toys as they say. If I get it. I'll make you guys sick for what I won the bid with.
    Just what I need. Another computer. One for each running scooter (6).
    Rubberman likes this.

at 14, i cannot recommend zareason. za reason being that company will not ship a non-UEFI mobo in their machines, plus I question if they are really worth the price (are you rich?)
    a Core2Duo or better from a reputable dealer on eBay is where I would start, then proceed to the local pawn shops (but buying right at such a place for you alone may be difficult, nowadays)
    Stick with Linux on a reasonably priced machine, is my advice. Keep an open mind . . . and best wishes!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    @Rokytnji
    So Roky, where do you mount them? Since you need the display, I would assume on the tank?

@sidzen
    You pretty much can't get new systems without UEFI these days, but only Windows ones lock the BIOS down to where it may be impossible to disable the secure boot features.

Linux Guru
    but only Windows ones lock the BIOS down
    Tech is moving so freaking fast it is leaving you behind rubberman. It also makes me frustrated that I am not as savvy with all these new changes that are outstripping my knowledge.
    Chromebooks lock out the bios also. It seems to be the latest hardware fad for laptops.

Mount a laptop on a motorcycle. Nope. Not going to happen. I ride to enjoy the smells and the pretty looking women. The corners while gravity tugs on my body. Not a laptop screen. They do bounce around in the saddlebags though.
    Dairy Queen and Texas Rest Areas are free wifi hot spots.

@the bargain basement posters. Have you seen what the OP asked to pick from in choices? All high dollar gear that will probably be pre-paid for.
    Mac? No Flash. Their laptops are not known for lasting through the years like my 2000 IBM A22M.
    Windows? It is a leased operating system with system rot built in and virus pron. YOU have to run a anitvirus program, like a leach sucking the life force out of your gaming laptop.
    Zareason? It is the only one left that makes any sense.

Edit: I never believe a 14 year old that says things like "I give up". I raised boy and girl teenagers and know better.

@rokytnji
    Congrats on 4k!
    Yeah, let them figure it out. I'm just an ex-drunk woods and RR worker from the Pacific Northwest -- what do I know?

@OP
    Get what you want, kid, and best wishes for a bright future without alcohol or drugs!

My laptop is an 8 year old Dell D630 Latitude. Still works great and runs Scientific Linux 6.5. No UEFI cruft to deal with! 250GB Sata HD, esata port, DVD writer, lots of USB2 ports, and DVI video. 1920x1200 display (14"), and 3GHz Core Duo w/ hyperthreading and an nVidia graphics chip set. I think I paid about $1300 for it new. Can't touch it for the price today. Other than the core count (2 vs 8 ) it is pretty comparable to my tower workstation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast