Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I live in a student residence and there are plenty of access points in different places in the building. I made a walk in my floor and i realised ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless disfunction

Hello!

I live in a student residence and there are plenty of access points in different places in the building. I made a walk in my floor and i realised that my laptop was recieving strong signal under the second access point of the floor and completely weak signal under the access point that is located right outside of my appartment's door.
    Can I ''lead'' my wireless to the right access point?

* I have Debian 7. My wireless card is Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4357] (rev 01) and the module I use is brcm80211 0.43 from testing.

If you can dump the Broadcom wifi card and go Intel things might be a bit easier for you. I had nothing but problems from a Broadcom wifi card in a Dell laptop that I had. I picked up an Intel card and the problem just vanished.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    Can I ''lead'' my wireless to the right access point?
    If using wicd or network-manager and it sees the acess point. I do not see why not unless they are password protected and you don't have the password.

Also, is wireless-tools and wpasupplicant installed.

also

Code:
    ip addr show
    Code:
    ip link show
    in terminal show?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I use wicd and have installed both wireless-tools and wpasupplicant

ip addr show:
    Code:
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN 
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN qlen 1000
        link/ether c8:0a:a9:a8:70:c4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN qlen 1000
        link/ether 78:e4:00:f1:81:d8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    ip link show :
    Code:
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT 
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
        link/ether c8:0a:a9:a8:70:c4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
        link/ether 78:e4:00:f1:81:d8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    I realised that the problem is that wireless card isn't recieving any signal at all from the nearest AP. The AP is fine because I can connect to it from another pc.
    Last edited by nikodimos; 07-30-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Is the card seated into the slot properly? Are the two antenna cables plugged into the card? Have you checked for Proprietary Drivers for the card(my Dell needed one until I replaced the card)? Could the card be damaged or defective?
    Personally, If you can spend the $5 or $10 bucks or what ever one costs(can't be too much) and get an Intel WiFi card that'll work with your laptop. I'd be willing to bet that it'll "fix" the problem for you.

Linux Guru
    Might need the b43 driver for the

brcm80211
    But I am not Broadcom savvy. TNFrank has a point about intel cards as all my gear except for a couple run intel wireless.

But it should work OK

https://wiki.debian.org/wl

The BCM4311 and BCM4312 chips are alternatively supported by the b43 driver.
    https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

Broadcom wifi can be like pulling teeth. As I have blogged about here.

Then again the wl driver might be the one. Kinda hard to tell from your post without needed info like lspci -knn readout.

Edit: rkill list can tell you if wireless is turned of in bios or through a hotkey on your keyboard also.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=rfkill

Also using

14e4:4357
    That you posted brings up

https://wiki.debian.org/wl

So you can see how I am not sure if b43 or the wl driver is what should be used on your Broadcom wireless chip.

I know every time I did an install of a new Distro to play with on the Dell I had with the Broadcom wifi board I had to plug in to get the interweb. After install I'd install the b43 driver and be "good to go" but until then it's was no wifi for me.
    My HP's have Intel wifi and I've had zero issues with them. My new to me Dell D420 has a Broadcom wifi board but I think it's a different board then the one that needs the b43 driver. Either that or Antergos just has it by default since it runs the latest kernel(up to 3.15.7-1 last time I looked) so if it needs a driver it's probably there.
    I hate to fight with stuff, I'd rather spend a few bucks and get something that I know will work and solve the problem once and for good then have to keep beating my head against it. JMHO, YMMV.

Just Joined!
    I have installed (separately) b43, wl and brcm80211 and only the last one worked. I believe that the problem is relative with this phrase:

"You may have problems when using other channels than 1-12. It is important you configure your regulatory domain with:
    # iw reg set <EU|US|JP>"
    in paragraph "Known isues" at: wiki.debian.org/brcm80211

But I can't understand a thing

Linux Guru
    https://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211

Like I said. Dealing with Broadcom chips can be like pulling teeth

brcmsmac (brcm80211 prior to Linux 2.6.39) is a free and open source mac80211 driver, introduced in Linux 2.6.37.1

It supports wireless LAN devices based on specific Broadcom 802.11n PCIe wireless LAN chips:

BCM4313
    BCM43224
    BCM43225
    If running testing. You are on Jessie. But did you do steps 2 and 3 in the wiki they show for wheezy. Installing the firmware package and also
    reinserting the module to access the firmware after the firmware install?
    I believe that the problem is relative with this phrase:

"You may have problems when using other channels than 1-12. It is important you configure your regulatory domain with:
    # iw reg set <EU|US|JP>"
    in paragraph "Known isues" at: wiki.debian.org/brcm80211
    I don't think so because that section refers to

Known Issues

With BCM4313-based devices, brcmsmac driver information may be displayed even after system boot.

You can ignore/hide this by adding a "dmesg -n 3" line to your /etc/rc.local file.

You may have problems when using other channels than 1-12. It is important you configure your regulatory domain with:

# iw reg set <EU|US|JP>
    But Broadcom is so funky that the wiki article finishes up with

See Also

bcm43xx - Broadcom 43xx wireless devices

How to use a WiFi interface

wl (vendor driver)
    Code:
    $ inxi -N
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
               driver: r8169
               Card-2: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
    $ cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
    NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
    VERSION_ID="7"
    VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
    ID=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/
    Mine took no special hoop jumping like Broadcom chips do. Just boot and connect. I know that is useless to you since your gear is different than mine.
    Just showing you how to show what you are running. You probably do not have the inxi command capability that I do though. But cat /etc/os-release should work OK for you.