Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm new to linux. I have an old laptop running Windows Vista that's all upto date. I want to install a linux OS like debian so I can dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

increase boot partition on a USB flash drive

Hi
    I'm new to linux. I have an old laptop running Windows Vista that's all upto date. I want to install a linux OS like debian so I can dual boot. I found a good article on everydaylinux website. I followed it step by step. Downloaded the recomended linux mate iso, used UNetbootin, formated the 16GB USB flash drive I have - when I go to format it only shows FAT as an option so there is no option for FAT32 and the boot partition is limited to about 55MB - is there a way to increase the boot partition on the USB flash drive?????(ive already tried 'partition tool' and it won't let me increase the partition size it would only let me decrease). Every ISO version I've seen of Linux distributions are much bigger than 55MB. Is there a smaller ISO file of a Linux distribution I could use? I have shrunk the C drive on my laptop an have got about 25GB free unallocation but it has no drive letter assigned - is there a way to install the ISO image directly onto the 25GB of free disk space I have? On my laptop with Windows Vista SP I clicked on 'computer managment| storage| disk managment| then if I right click on the 25GB unallocated bit it comes up with 'new simple volume' I click next specify a volume and assign a drive letter then click next then it comes up with 'format with the following setting' File System: NTFS or FAT32 Do I need to select FAT32???????then it has two tick boxed one for quick format and one for enable file and folder compression. Do i need to tick these?

Any help would be great

Linux Newbie
    windows no longer offers format to fat32 so you will have to look at the alternatives, here is a link that may help

And it's fixed!: [Solved] How to format to FAT32 on Windows 7 and Vista

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

your usb stick should be fat32 then unetbootin should be able to extract the iso image you have downloaded to create a bootable live usb.

once you have created the bootable live usb of linux you will need to plug it into a usb port and boot the computers usb via the computers boot menu (usually an F key such as f8, 10 or 12 but not exclusively) or by entering the bios of the laptop and changing the boot order of the available drives..bios vary but what you want is the usb as the first boot device in the list.

when you reboot the computer this should allow the usb to boot the live linux to a desktop. and once you have a desktop you can then use the linux disk partitioning application and create a primary linux partition with the 25 gig of unallocated space and format it for linux using a linux file system such as ext3.

windows wants you to use windows and does not recognize other operating systems so you must realize that linux operating systems use a different format.

you will have to install linux to the newly created linux partition, the downloaded iso is a disk image and can not be directly added to a windows partition

if the live usb does not boot to a desktop then you will have to note what exactly happens. and be as specific as you can so someone can help sort you out.

although not always an issue some hardware is not compatible with linux or requires proprietary drivers not available for inclusion, usually video.

Which linux with mate have you chosen?

It may help if you posted the make and model of the laptop and the amount of ram and disk space so we can eliminate some issues such as low ram and google chip sets to know what may be happening.