Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, My os: CentOS 6.5 - 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64 I've build a Raid 5 using a simple SATA-3 Controller Card in conjunction with 4x4TB NAS harddrives. Now I found out that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Replacing faulty Disk on a RAID-5

Hi all,

My os: CentOS 6.5 - 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64
    I've build a Raid 5 using a simple SATA-3 Controller Card in conjunction with 4x4TB NAS harddrives.

Now I found out that one disk produce a lot of read errors and needs to be replaced.

I checked this forum along with some other google articles, but I haven't quite found a sufficient answer ...

So the whole thing is a software raid (mdadm) and I only have 4 Ports on that card so I gonna remove the old drive and replace it with the new (same manufacture, same model)

Is it sufficient just to shut down the box, replace the disk and power it on again ?
    Will the system detect the new drive as empty and start reconstructing the data automatically ?

Or do I have to "shutdown the Raid", mark the disk as faulty, shut down the box, replace the disk and reconfigure the drive ?

Can you give me any hints
    Last edited by may24; 1 Week Ago at 12:51 PM.

Just Joined!
    Google "HOWTO_Replace_a_failing_disk_on_Linux_Software_RA ID-5"

Just Joined!
    You may should add: "remove the underscores" while google search ... otherwise Google will find something completely different
    screen.jpg

So this is the link your're talking about:
    Code:
    consultancy.edvoncken.net/index.php/HOWTO_Replace_a_failing_disk_on_Linux_Software_RAID-5