Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Questions about Distros

I just bought a new HP Windows 10 Desktop PC, to replace my old Acer Windows 7 Desktop PC; I upgraded the Acer to Windows 10 about 2-3 months ago. The Acer PC was 3, almost 4 years old, and admittedly somewhat roughly treated; I tend to be tough on my computers, regardless of my intentions otherwise. It started freezing up on me 2-3 months after installing Windows 10, and nothing I tried could unfreeze it once it got frozen, forcing me to shut it off every time it froze up. I can get maybe 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer (seems to depend on how many things I'm trying to do at once,) of usage out of it right now before it freezes on me and has to be turned off.

Right now I'm moving everything I can off the Acer in small increments to an external Hard Drive to put on the new HP Computer. After I'm done getting everything off of the old Acer PC that I can't retrieve from Cloud Storage, (I'm guessing probably a week or 2; the last time I tried to turn it on twice in the same day, it froze up on me immediately after I got logged into Windows the second time, ) I'm planning on getting rid of Windows 10 on the Acer and replacing it with a Linux Distro. Which is why I'm here, of course.

Now, I caught the warning about not asking which distro to use (admittedly, I had a lengthy post half-written before I noticed said warning. Ugh, ) but there's some specifics I'd like some clarification on. I'm leaning heavily towards Zorin 9 OS. What features does Lite lack compared to Core? I was having trouble finding info on that. For that matter, how does Zorin 9 Core compare demand-wise to Windows 10? If there's not much difference between Zorin Core and Zorin Lite than nevermind, but if the differences are large enough than I'd prefer using the fuller-featured version if I can get away with it (my guess so far on why my Acer is freezing up is that Windows 10 is too 'heavyweight' for it, so I'm looking for something lightweight, or at least something much lighter than Windows 10. ) I'd just like to find out if I can do that now, before finding out the hard way by having my Acer crap out on me from the same or similar problems as before.
    My Acer was a pretty good computer when I first bought it, 1 TB of Hard Drive space, not sure of the RAM though. The computer was capable of running Skyrim without too much lag if that helps (at least before I started adding in far too many mods anyways... )

Also, I think I saw a reference somewhere that Zorin comes with an 'app store' or equivalent, or that one is being developed and I've seen some mention of the Ubuntu Software Center, but I've been a bit confused about how compatible the various distro's 'app stores' are with other distros, and especially how many there are out there. I prefer having a wide range of choices.

So thanks for reading, and especially for any help.

First: Linux is not Windows and does not run Windows programs (well or at all). Many folks replace Windows with Linux and expect everything will be the same - it won't. Some effort and reading/research will be required on your part.

Second: Windows 10 is a boat anchor. Upgrading your Acer to 10 was likely a mistake and I did not upgrade any of my computers from 7 - nor will I.

Zorin Lite and Zorin Core are totally different systems. Lite is 32 bit only and uses LXDE as the desktop environment (DE). Core is a full system using a modified Gnome 3 desktop environment. Zorin's "claim to fame" is that it tries to be Windows at least in look and feel but no Linux can be Windows. I actually ran Lite for a while and it's a decent distro, I tried Core and didn't like it at all. Zorin is based on Ubuntu as are a lot of other distros. Lite and Lubuntu are a good comparison and Core and regular Ubuntu as well. I don't like marketing hype so Zorin claiming to nearly be Windows is a big negative for me.

All Linux gets the software from their repository and it's accessed through a package manager. The same software is available in just about every distro, the means of delivery may be different though. The "App Store" or "Software Center" is just a fancy front end for the package manager.

Without the hardware specs like CPU, memory, and video it's difficult to recommend anything for your Acer. Folks here will help you but you have to provide enough info for us to do so...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Without knowing anything else about you or your computer here's what I recommend:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/r...inal-released/

It's a well designed and built system with a great support forum...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    First: Linux is not Windows and does not run Windows programs (well or at all). Many folks replace Windows with Linux and expect everything will be the same - it won't.

Second: Windows 10 is a boat anchor. It is something I (and many others) will never use.

Zorin Lite and Zorin Core are totally different systems. Lite is 32 bit only and uses LXDE as the desktop environment (DE). Core is a full system using a modified Gnome 3 desktop environment. Zorin's "claim to fame" is that it tries to be Windows at least in look and feel but no Linux can be Windows. I actually ran Lite for a while and it's a decent distro, I tried Core and didn't like it at all. Zorin is based on Ubuntu as are a lot of other distros. Lite and Lubuntu are a good comparison and Core and regular Ubuntu as well.

All Linux gets the software from their repository and it's accessed through a package manager. The same software is available in just about every distro.

Without the hardware specs like CPU, memory, and video it's difficult to recommend anything for your Acer. Folks here will help you but you have to provide enough info for us to do so...
    Ah, sorry if I wasn't being completely clear. I understand that Linux doesn't run Windows programs, I'm not expecting it to. What I was trying to say is that I basically have 2 computers right now, the new one I just bought and an older Acer computer. Both have Windows 10 on them but Windows 10 seems to be basically killing the older computer, which is why I bought the new one. I've been curious about Linux for a while now and wanted to try it out on an older computer and figured this was my chance. As for whether or not Windows 10 sucks, Windows is all I've ever known OS-wise so I wouldn't know. Maybe I'll switch over after trying it out on my older computer, but at the moment I prefer the thought of having both a Windows PC and a Linux PC, and I don't think I could handle a Dual-Boot.

Ah, sheesh. I shouldn't be posting this late at night (where I am anyways. ) Just looked over at my old computer and realized it isn't an Acer, it's an Asus. Ugh. Shows what of lack of sleep does to my brain. I trashed the box the old PC came in a few months after I first got it, which as I said I think was 3-4 years ago, and haven't been able to find any of the documentation I had on it. Is there any diagnostic apps I could run on it that would be able to tell me the specs? I've been keeping the old PC off the net, it's basically defenseless right now so don't want to connect it to the net (the new pc has up-to-date protection, but the limited time window I have before the old one freezes up on me doesn't help for updating the virus protection or firewall on said old computer. )

I'll try to have the specs tomorrow. I need to get to bed now, tired, and had the old computer on a few hours ago so it'd probably freeze up on me if I tried it right now anyways. Not sure exactly how long a rest between uses keeps the old pc from freezing on me, but I've been going with about 1 day between uses.

Tell us the model number from the sticker on the bottom - it will at least provide a starting point. Actually being an Asus vs an Acer is a plus - Acer put out some flakey hardware several years ago.

Ah, took a minute to find it, but I've got it. cm6730

www asus com / Tower-PCs / Essentio_CM6730 / specifications /
    minus the spaces.
    This looks like it's it. I'll know more tomorrow after I check out the specs from the system info readout on the PC itself. Pretty sure should have specifics for most of that.

That has enough horsepower to run any distro you want. It appears to have nvidia graphics which can be tricky to get setup but not overly so. The recommendation I made for Linux Lite (get 64 bit) stands as it will be a good system for you to begin your journey. I ran Lite for a good while until I took the time to develop my own system...

Ugh. It's looking I don't have much time left for retrieving things from my old computer; it gave me trouble logging in, extremely sluggish, several seconds lag between typing in the login passkey and the letters symbols showing up on-screen. I'm in the middle of getting the last things I don't think I can easily replace, then I'll make one grab for the less important stuff (my music collection mainly; I usually listen to internet radio lately, but when internet is down or otherwise not available, that's mighty useful. )

I did manage to grab the specs for the computer, hope it's all the stuff needed for a good evaluation. I ended up using 2 different methods, doing the second method after the first one didn't seem to give me any results (turned out it was just lag. )

Below are the results of the first, basic and less detailed System Info thing I did.

Manufacturer: ASUTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Mode: ASUS DESKTOP PC CM6730 Series
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch is available for this Display

And below this is the second

Item Value
    System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2901 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0505, 7/18/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    Baseboard Manufacturer ASUTeK
    Baseboard Model Not Available
    Baseboard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Workstation
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.91 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode E... Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Addres... Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enable... No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Prote... Yes

The second report I got off the computer was much more detailed and probably full of mostly irrelevant info, but I've got no idea what parts are important so I'm posting anything that wasn't personal info like my name turning up in user info in the less detailed first report I did.

I'm mainly interested in whether or not this old computer will be able to manage Zorin OS 9 Core without any trouble, considering that's still my guess for why the old ASUS PC I'm talking about is freezing up on me. If Zorin OS 9 Core version turns out to be too much for the old pc, then the next OSes I've looked at and am considering are the afore-mentioned Zorin OS 9 Lite, Lubuntu, and Manjaro Linux. Zorin OS 9 Core doesn't work than I'm not as likely to consider Lite compared to Lubuntu or Manjaro, but I like most of what I've heard of Zorin compared to the other 2 OSes, I just would prefer the most full featured version of the OS I can get; Haven't been able to find much on Ultimate, but what I gave been able to find implies that it's only really worth buying if you're looking to use it as part of your job. Again, thanks for any help you all can give.

I am a die hard Zorin user. I have used the paid version 10 since it was released. I have also tried 20+ other distros, and keep finding myself back. Mainly due to it's simplicity and goals of turning everything GUI. I have installed Zorin on several machines, from the doorstops, to the latest super Alienware, and I have yet to notice any significant difference in performance. The real trick is getting the install right for the machine you're using. I do recommend going to your system settings-software & updates-proprietary drivers first to make sure you're using the right drivers for your machine. Otherwise it will be very sluggish. Especially if you're using a nvidia card. Note: when selecting the proprietary driver, use the ones labelled (update), and reboot your machine afterwards using the shutdown menu in the bottom panel.

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofryed View Post
    I am a die hard Zorin user. I have used the paid version 10 since it was released. I have also tried 20+ other distros, and keep finding myself back. Mainly due to it's simplicity and goals of turning everything GUI. I have installed Zorin on several machines, from the doorstops, to the latest super Alienware, and I have yet to notice any significant difference in performance. The real trick is getting the install right for the machine you're using. I do recommend going to your system settings-software & updates-proprietary drivers first to make sure you're using the right drivers for your machine. Otherwise it will be very sluggish. Especially if you're using a nvidia card. Note: when selecting the proprietary driver, use the ones labelled (update), and reboot your machine afterwards using the shutdown menu in the bottom panel.
    Considering how rare it's been lately for me to manage to get the computer to operate at all for extended periods of time, I'm not sure I'll be able to get online and get all of the needed updates and drivers. Would it be better for me install another OS first to get all of the necessary drivers?
    Last edited by Duraiken; 12-05-2015 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Missing word