Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, New to all this and trying to track down an issue. Lets say that the kernel panic's for some reason and the server becomes non-responsive and needs to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    dtc
    Just Joined!

Kernel Panic's/server crashes

Hi,

New to all this and trying to track down an issue. Lets say that the kernel panic's for some reason and the server becomes non-responsive and needs to be remote re-booted. What log can I try to track down the culprit??

I've checked:
    /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

and

/var/log/messages

Don't see anything about a panic, yet the data center says that was the reason.

What are some other things to check to get to the bottom of the crashes?? What logs can help me understand/learn what is happening??

BTW- The server was very stable before I upgraded Apache using easyapache last Friday..

The server is a RH 7.3/2.4.18-27.7.SMP kernel box running Apache 1.3.27 and PHP 4.3.1 using WHM/Cpanel 6.4.2-S75

Thanks!!

Linux Guru
    Well, naturally you won't find anything about kernel panics in your apache logs, and the syslogs can't log it either since the system stops at a kernel panic.
    That's the thing with a kernel panic. Since the system stops, there's no way to log it. The only way to see what it is is to look at the monitor, and I'm guessing that the datacenter doesn't have a monitor plugged in to it. If it happens again, I guess that you'll have to speak to them about hooking up a monitor to it.

dtc
    Just Joined!
    Damn, just happened again now...she was only up for a couple of hours this time

Linux Guru
    I can't image that an apache upgrade could cause kernel panics. Didn't you do anything else as well? Are you using the TUX kernel level httpd accelerator?

Anyway, bug the datacenter crew to hook up a monitor to the server so that you can see what's causing it.

dtc
    Just Joined!
    I know this is kind of vaugue, but here is a response from the data center regarding the reboot this morning...I'll get more concrete verbiage if and when it happens again:

some of what was on the screen when i rebooted the machine this morning.

Unable to handle linux NULL pointer deference at virtual address 00000000 ip_table_fileter ip_tables autofs EIP is at load0balance [kernel] 0x265 process httpd (pid 5831)

there were multiple values for
    stack
    call trace
    and reschedule

Linux Guru
    Apparently, the kernel is trying to dereference a NULL pointer, which would indeed cause an oops. I don't think that it should cause a panic, though, but then again who knows what might happen. Could you post the stack trace?
    Also, you could always try to just recompile the kernel. It might be a known bug.