Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using RH6.2 2.2.14. If I download a much newer kernel (like 2.4.x,) do I need to download newer libraries also?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

libraries and kernel upgrade

I'm using RH6.2 2.2.14. If I download a much newer kernel (like 2.4.x,) do I need to download newer libraries also?

Linux Guru
    Most (if not all) syscalls are designed to maintain full binary compatibility at all times, so I don't think that you'll need a new libc. However, some kernel administration tools could be out of date, such as firewall administration and the like.

Just Joined!
    While we are on the subject of libraries, if upgrade XF86, would that require newer libraries. I checked the XF86 site, and they have versions for several libs. Obviously the lib version and XF86 version need to be matched, but what is the difference between lib versions?

If this site tracked kharma, I think you would have everyone beaten!

Linux Guru
    Well, the thing is that with binary distributions, the library versions in the binaries' symreloc tables must match the actual versionof the libraries, to ensure binary compatibility. That will all be solved if you compile your XF86 from source, since it will dynlink everything against the actual libraries that you have. If you have any libraries that are too old for the current version of XF86, it will probably tell you about it when it can't link against them.

Just Joined!
    I checked xfree86.org, and the source is about 50 MB! That would take about four hours to download over dial-up! I'll think that I will be making a trip to my school to borrow their bandwidth...

Linux Guru
    Oh, you're on dial-up? Poor thing... You should really consider getting yourself a *DSL connection; I don't think that you know what you're missing. I know I didn't know.