Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Startup problems with nvidia driver

I just installed a used GeForce 750Ti and went to download the proprietary driver so I can play games and get faster video exporting with my video editing. After downloading the wrong driver, having Ubuntu studio automatically removing kernels that weren't working, and then re-installing a correct driver, the video card is now displaying on my TV. However, when I have the bios set as the PCie as the primary video, the computer doesn't register when I put the password in for the encryption. It also doesn't display as clear. But when I have the bios set as the integrated video, it will allow me to insert the password for the disk encryption, and starts up like normal. What is missing so I can just run video from the video card?

I do not know what the problem is, but for anyone to help you they will need more information.

What version of Ubuntu (I am assuming cause you said Ubuntu studio) are you running?

They may also need to know more about the hardware, what kind of motherboard ect. or comptuer model if it is a pre-built unit.

Also, Look here and see if it has your answer. BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

Thanks,

Doss

Yeah, I'm using Ubuntu studio, 16.1 I believe. It's called Yakkety Yak.

It's a pre-build unit
    Intel DQ670W motherboard
    Intel core i5 2400 3.1 GHz
    6GB DDR3

A few minutes after I posted the thread, I retried the restart to see if it would do the same thing, but it's not. Now, it gives me an error code it was doing before, the error code is
    [ 1.431770] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (7) occurred attempting to read a pcr value

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas2342 View Post
    [ 1.431770] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (7) occurred attempting to read a pcr value

Does the next line read:

Code:
    No TPM chip found, activating TPM-bypass!
    Thanks,

Doss

Yeah, I'm using Ubuntu studio, 16.1 I believe. It's called Yakkety Yak.
    please consider using an LTS release: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

about your gpu:
    please start the system, and enter this command:
    Code:
    lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d'
    and post its output here, incl. the command itself.
    bonus points for code tags.

edit:
    erm, i have no clue how disk encryption and graphic cards could be related and likely won't be able to help with that.
    i kind of just assumed that you have a standard gpu driver problem...
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Quote Originally Posted by dossjh View Post
    Does the next line read:

Code:
    No TPM chip found, activating TPM-bypass!
    Thanks,

Doss
    No, the code I wrote is the only one that it displays.

I also finally figured out how to configure the settings to use two monitors, because that's the other issue I was having, and in some ways is a temporary solution.

I like the display settings more than the ARandR software I downloaded.

Ok, I restarted the computer to see if I could put in the command code in safe mode, but it timed me out, so I put it in the terminal.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    DeviceName: Intel(R) HD Graphics Device
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_367, nvidia_367_drm
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fbc (rev a1)
    Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 3757
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
    02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. CMI8786 (Xonar DG)
    Kernel driver in use: snd_oxygen

However, when I have the bios set as the PCie as the primary video, the computer doesn't register when I put the password in for the encryption.

I am a little confused by this sentence. Are you saying you enter the password and it fails to decrypt the disk with an error message. Or are you saying when you would normally enter your password the screen fails to show.

Thanks,

Doss

P.S. Do you know if your disk encryption is using the TPM chip? (I would not expect this to be the case.)

When I enter in the password, the computer doesn't register that I'm putting it in, there's no error message. It also displays the ubuntu studio title and the encryption box in a 360 pixel or so resolution, like when a Playstation 4 changes settings from an error or an update.

The problem is solved! When I re-enter the command to double check what the computer is using/recognizing, this pops up.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    DeviceName: Intel(R) HD Graphics Device
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_375_drm, nvidia_375
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fbc (rev a1)
    Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 3757
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
    02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. CMI8786 (Xonar DG)
    Kernel driver in use: snd_oxygen

Now, it's using the nvidia_375 kernel. All I did was switch to Ubuntu Studio 16.0.4 LTS because of this problem, and the added problem of nvidia software and the ubuntu software quit recognizing my TV as a second monitor.

However, it's not using my sound card currently when Ubuntu is using the same kernel driver both times, but that will need to be a different thread.