Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry synaptic touchpad behaving strangely

I've googled around this issue, gotten help on discord, gotten help from friends, and no one has been able to solve this. it's followed me from distro to distro with the exact same effects every time.

upon starting up, my touchpad behaves fine. after a seemingly arbitrary amount of time, once i lift my finger off the trackpad, it stops working. most of the motions on the trackpad are no longer picked up, but a scarce few are. when the movements aren't picked up nothing happens (obviously), but when they are picked up the mouse will suddenly jump the distance of the motion, with nowhere in between. sudo cat /dev/input/mouse0 shows exactly what you would expect; only certain motions here and there are received. i have also made sure in powertop that it isn't doing an automatic power management, and that it is running at the level it should be. Honestly I don't know what else to try at this point, can anyone help?
    EDIT: it works fine in Windows 10
    Last edited by Sarenord; 1 Week Ago at 11:45 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

sounds like a hardware issue.
    try to reproduce it with a different operating system.
    search the web for your laptop manufacturer and issues with its touchpad.
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

Just Joined!
    I had this once, turned out to be the touch sensor (capacitative I think) being too sensitive and becoming over-saturated with static. I covered it with a piece of parcel (scotch) tape to reduce its sensitivity and the problem went away.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    sounds like a hardware issue.
    try to reproduce it with a different operating system.
    search the web for your laptop manufacturer and issues with its touchpad.
    my trackpad has no issues in windows, and all the reviews for the laptop say it works fine under linux

like I told Nihili, it works fine in windows so i doubt it's a hardware issue

Are you using synaptics driver or libinput? Anyhow, there are some good tutorials on the net, one is here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

Sarenord, we need more information:

- hardware specs
    - software specs (i.e. distro etc)

in as much detail as possible.

whatever you think you can add to that, please do.

also please the ouput of these commands:
    Code:
    lspci -k
    xinput
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!