Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have an SSD I want to last a long time.

I have two Intel Compute sticks which have Ubuntu on them. They have internal solid state memory which the OS is installed to, but I want to make the internal memory be treated as read only to prolong the life of the sticks. I want everything else to go to the SD card since replacing the SD card is easy.

I am not sure what settings I need to change for this. I don't use SSD dives much so this is new territory for me. Usually I just have my OS on the same drive as everything else. I've looked for tutorials for how to do this, but I think the one's I've found were made with someone more experienced with linux than me in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I've looked for tutorials for how to do this, but I think the one's I've found were made with someone more experienced with linux than me in mind.
    SSDs are becoming so common nowadays that i think you should just trust that ubuntu takes care of it.

if you look for online articles about that, make sure that they aren't too old. a lot has changed with SSDs in the past few years.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Linux Newbie
    It used to be the case that you didn't really want the page file on the SSD because it gets hammered a lot, but I'm pretty sure the last couple of years SSD technology has advanced and you don't need to worry about it. For any normal user, an SSD will last the lifetime of the machine. I would just make sure you have a new version of linux, and don't worry about it.

If you have to replace a $100 compute stick in four years due to SSD failure, so what - it will have cost you $25 a year. SD cards will cost you that anyway.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I have two Intel Compute sticks which have Ubuntu on them. They have internal solid state memory which the OS is installed to, but I want to make the internal memory be treated as read only to prolong the life of the sticks. I want everything else to go to the SD card since replacing the SD card is easy.

I am not sure what settings I need to change for this. I don't use SSD dives much so this is new territory for me. Usually I just have my OS on the same drive as everything else. I've looked for tutorials for how to do this, but I think the one's I've found were made with someone more experienced with linux than me in mind.

This is the year 2017 and there is nothing special that needs to be done for an SSD to prolong its life. Sure things were different 4 or 5 years ago, but the technology has been mature for several years now.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Bennett View Post
    This is the year 2017
    Crap. When did that happen?